Can Baikonour and Plesetsk be used during LC-39 renovations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

llivinglarge

Where can NASA launch from while the launch pads are being renovated for CEV?

K

kurtwagner

My understanding is that one of the Complex 39 pads, A or B, would be modified for CEV/CLV/HLLV ops while the other is used to complete the Shuttle program launches. I'd think that launching Shuttles from Russia would present problems on an unthinkable scale. This is briefly mentioned here: "Under consideration is a plan to take one pad (probably 39A) out of service soon and begin the modifications. "

L

llivinglarge

According to Wikipedia...<br /><br />After the retirement of the Space Shuttle in 2010 both pads will be extensively modified to accommodate the future Heavy Lift Cargo launcher, derived from the Space Shuttle, which will be used for the return to the Moon. The only difference from Apollo is that the crew will not be launched from these launch pads. Two launches a year are expected, starting in 2018. Because of this, NASA will have to construct a LC-39C and LC-39D, or launch the Manned Crew Launch from the nearby Cape Canaveral Air Force Station using either the former Titan III launch pad or Saturn IB launchpad. If the manned CEV uses the Air Force facility, it will be the first time in over 40 years (since the Apollo 7 mission in October, 1968) that a manned NASA launch will take place.<br /><br /><br /><br />Any truth to this?

N

nolirogari

Don't take your spaceflight info from Wikipedia... it's like taking it from TV Guide. Listen to insiders like shuttle_guy. <br /><br />Wikipedia is talking about LC34 when they talk about IB pads- and that's a National landmark- No-can use. LC37 is reserved for the Delta IV and the the Atlas V has the old Titan IV complex. The USAF and NASA are not friendly neighbors at management levels and so NASA will not just stroll over to CCAFS and start making new launch complexes. It's going to go down just as shuttle_guy says- it'll cost way less than any other plan. The MLP for the CEV is probably already set aside waiting to be modified, then they build the MSS and shuttle_guy will lose the bet and have to send me a rock from the crawlerway... watch and see.

N

nolirogari

I can say the same about your Dr. Zooch model kit... HA!<br /><br />Sereiously, I just can't wait for the STS to be back on the pad and then for the roll-out of the CLV and and the cargo lifter. I'm gonna wangle a way to be there for those two roll-outs, especially the heavy lifter. Seeing a big stack roll out of the VAB once again will be a great day indeed. <br /><br />Meanwhile I'm busy putting together shuttle kits- if they do get 2 or 3 flights off this year, I'll sell a ton of them. Attached (with any luck) is a photos taken by one of my customers of my shuttle boosting... it knows where to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts