Can our brains help prove the universe is conscious?

"This claims consciousness is inherent in even the tiniest pieces of matter — an idea that suggests the fundamental building blocks of reality have conscious experience. Crucially, it implies consciousness could be found throughout the universe."

Okay, starting with BB cosmology, Planck time, and Planck length, when did matter evolve via time and chance consciousness? Was it during inflation epoch? Post-inflation era? BBN? origin of CMBR? When did consciousness appear *throughout the universe* according to BB cosmology?

The report concludes "There might be moral implications. We tend to treat systems that have conscious experiences different from systems that don't," said Kleiner. Yet if it is proven that consciousness plays a causal role in the universe, it would have huge consequences for the scientific view of the world, said Kleiner. "It could lead to a scientific revolution on a par with the one initiated by Galileo Galilei," he said. And that really is something to bear in mind."

What *moral implications*? Natural law explains consciousness thus nature can define right and wrong? Consider the moral implications of M1, the crab Nebula in Taurus.

Reactions: Helio
Shouldn't this be a May 4th special? ;) Midi-chlorians might object to this article making them... conscientious objectors. [ok, bad joke. :)]

"Life is ultimately distinguished by its processes, not its products." - from current S&T article (Rimmer). Similarly, we could switch "life" for "consciousness", if I understand the jest of the article. The interrelationships that are envisioned to exist on a higher order (e.g. neurons on coins in a stack analogy) is potentially, somehow, at a level of consciousness.

The problem I see is in finding an objective-based solution to such subjectivity, typical of most metaphysics.; "show us the science." Entropy (ie low entropy) is no doubt important but that can be too much a nebulous view, literally ... (e.g. Boomerang Nebula with < 2.7K temp.), or my refrigerator.

As someone who accepts the idea that we all have souls, I don't want to sound too critical, but is there some intended efficacy to their ideas that I'm missing? If such interconnection exists, shouldn't at least a penny be moveable across a table or in the air (Ghost)?