Can you listen to spacecraft communications

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aphh

I think I could dig this one up, but somebody probably already knows about the subject.

Can I listen to the communications between spacecraft and the ground controls with a hobby radio and antenna? I think ISS now has full coverage around the globe, so can I tune in to the frequency? Are the communications encrypted or digitally compressed to save bandwidth?

N

neilsox

I can only guess that the encryption is somewhat like HD radio on the AM broadcast band. Possibly more like DVD = digital video disk. NASA and the other space agencies are a bit secretive, so my guess is the chip to convert this to audio and video is not easily obtained by hobbyists. I believe SSSC = single sideband suppressed carrier (more often called SSB = single sideband) is used for the ISS = international space station to communicate with radio amateurs. Some cable companies and Dish and Direct do or did carry a NASA channel, with selected material in the standard analog TV format. Perhaps NASA has converted to the new HDTV = high definition TV format. Neil

A

aphh

Thanks for the info and suggestions, I will look into this as soon as I find some time to spare.

A

aphh

I viewed the ISS/Shuttle duo last night with binoculars. It would have been great to simultaneously have earpiece with the audio from the big loop.

N

n1xed@msn.com

There are many satellites up in Space that you can listen and even talk to other people with. There is APRS, Voice,
SSTV. The ISS has different modes. Seeds, a Japanese Sat has voice down along with SSTV. ENJOY

A

a_lost_packet_

n1xed@msn.com":1muqizxb said:
There are many satellites up in Space that you can listen and even talk to other people with. There is APRS, Voice,
SSTV. The ISS has different modes. Seeds, a Japanese Sat has voice down along with SSTV. ENJOY

Welcome to SDC!

You know, a thread on these sats and various ways people have been using them would be great! <hint hint> :)

E

Eratosthenes

aphh":2armz2sm said:
I viewed the ISS/Shuttle duo last night with binoculars. It would have been great to simultaneously have earpiece with the audio from the big loop.

Have you checked out the Shuttle/Station audio channel available at NASA.gov? There is an audio stream link available on the NASA TV & Video subsection. You will get delayed audio (I think on the order of 3 minutes or so; sometimes longer) so - if observing - the Shuttle can be almost finished with the RP maneuver before you hear the initiation calls. Same thing if you want to follow the video link(s).

I don't know if the ASX will stream to the iPhone/iTunes. You probably need something like flip4mac as a workaround.

M

MeteorWayne

When the shuttle is up, I generally watch NASA TV when it coveres shuttle events; for me it's delayed about 45 seconds.

E

Eratosthenes

MeteorWayne":1sxq5d8d said:
When the shuttle is up, I generally watch NASA TV when it coveres shuttle events; for me it's delayed about 45 seconds.

Maybe I should have a word or two "behind the shed" with my cable provider! :geek:

M

MeteorWayne

Just to be clear, I am talking (or listening) about NASA TV online, compared to launch events on C-SPAN, FOX, CNN, or MSNBC, the online NASA TV runs about 45 seconds behind. I don't have NASA TV on my cable (despite asking repeatedly).

A

adrenalynn

I have "worked" the Space Shuttle over amateur radio several times. So that is certainly a fun challenge, and amateur radio barriers to entry have been tremendously lowered. I let my ticket lapse for years, and then a few years ago went on a whim to sit the test again. No study what-so-ever, aced the "tech", aced the "general", missed two on the "expert". You can be up and working the shuttle or ISS with nothing but a Technician Class - no "code" [morse-code, CW] required.

Cost of entry is pretty low for the gear, a few hundred dollars will do it, but spending a bit more will increase the likelihood of a successful contact.

Gee - I haven't worked ISS yet. Guess I should get out and take a shot at that! Wonder when the next Ham will be up with some spare time?

After that, you can get into EME/weak signal work. Moon bounce, satellite trail bounce, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts