Can you really see Neptune w/ binoculars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brandbll

I just read somewhere you could see Neptune w/ binoculars if you know where to look. Is this true? And if so where would i look if i live in the Twin Cites in Minnesota? And yes, i realize i'd have to drive out of town to see it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

B

brandbll

Will i be able to tell its Neptune? And am i screwed if i'm color blind? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

No, as it should resolve itself into a small disc. A star would remain a point of light. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

D

doubletruncation

It doesn't rise until after 2 am right now - so if you want to try and find it you should do it right before dawn. Uranus, which is more than 2 magnitudes brighter right now than Neptune, and is just below the naked eye threshhold for a very dark sky, rises after 3 am, so it's also an early morning target. Uranus is in Aquarius right now (between lambda and phi Aqr.). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yevaud

I suppose so. I don't know, as I have always use a scope to view most objects (as weird as that may sound). I *do* know that Neptune's color will be resolvable using them though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts