Canon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Testing

So I got my Shoestring DSUSB cable and box today only to discover that I had missed ordering the male to male 2.5mm three conductor comm cablefor the Rebel 400D. As of today they are on two weeks vacation. I'm not really robbing them at $9.00. Anybody got a pinout? Is it one to one? Really don't want to fry my camera or laptop. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So I got my Shoestring DSUSB cable and box today only to discover that I had missed ordering the male to male 2.5mm three conductor comm cablefor the Rebel 400D. As of today they are on two weeks vacation. I'm not really robbing them at $9.00. Anybody got a pinout? Is it one to one? Really don't want to fry my camera or laptop. <br />Posted by <strong>Testing</strong></DIV><br /><br />I don't own a Canon but digging around a bit I found this from the people who make the DSUSB cable you did buy.&nbsp; Seems to me that if you've got a Canon remote cable you can hack it as described therein&nbsp;to interface to your DSUSB cable.&nbsp; Is this what you're looking for ?</p><p>http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/ShutterRemoteMod.pdf</p><p>FWIW : It looks like Canon remotes operate the same as Minoltas. Shorting the wakeup/focus pin to the ground/common causes the camera to wake up (if asleep) and then do the auto focus & exposure calcs.&nbsp; Subsequent shorting of the shutter pin to ground causes the shutter to acitvate and the pic to be taken.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

Re:

Testing":3khdlral said:
So I got my Shoestring DSUSB cable and box today only to discover that I had missed ordering the male to male 2.5mm three conductor comm cablefor the Rebel 400D. As of today they are on two weeks vacation. I'm not really robbing them at $9.00. Anybody got a pinout? Is it one to one? Really don't want to fry my camera or laptop.

Well your response to my response has yet to show up post-migration but let me do what I didn't do before ... which was to answer your question directly. Yes, I believe the pinout is one to one. That is the tip is connected to the tip, ring to ring and sleeve to sleeve. (see the wiki for definitions) My prior link gave the pinout for the 3.5 mm (aka 1/8") plug (and jack if you care to splice your wired remote) that fits into your DSUSB adapter (see Figure3). I found the pinout for the 2.5 mm (aka 3/32") plug that goes into your 400D. It's here and this site has some other good info and ideas as well. Compare Figure3 in the Shoestring link to this and see if you agree it's a one for one cable. So you can make your own version of their DSCBL_01 cable if you care to. Heck, RatShack may have one like it. Personally I'd cut the wired remote (RS-60E3) and connectorize it so the cable could be used for both purposes, wired and DSUSB control. It cuts down on camera bag clutter !

I note that in your response you noted you presently use the IR control for your 400D. It's certainly possible to make an IR (or RF) link to "connect" the DSUSB controller to the wired jack on your 400D. Heck you could even make your own version of the RC-1 or RC-5 remotes that are controlled from the DSUSB. See the other projects on the DIY site and see what you think.

ps - sorry my links don't open in a new window, I've yet to figure out how to do that w/the new forum software.

T

Testing

Re: Re:

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm gonna wait for the made cable. Adrenalynn says I'm a woose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts