Capricorn One Remake (2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2001Kubrick

http://fusedfilm.com/2009/05/developmen ... ne-remake/

So it appears that Hollywood is so desperate for new material that they've resorted to remaking old cheeseball 70s flicks. I wasn't around for the original, but the idea of remaking Capricorn One makes me a little queasy. I have this sinking feeling that this movie will end up being the typical "America hating", pseudoscience, conspiracy theory film that will kick NASA when it is most in need of funding and support. Hopefully, I'm wrong and this movie is just another garden-variety sci-fi thriller that will go quickly into cult status.

The last thing we need is the braindead tin foil hatters to usurp a few more percentage points of the naive mainstream.

J

jim48

I've heard about this. I remember seeing the original in the theater back in '78! It was so bad it was good. A re-make will probably be a lot darker, as they tend to be.

J

JonClarke

It was a stupid, malicious movie then, the remake will be worse.

D

docm

Yup....but at least this time OJ will be "otherwise occupied" and not in the flick.

M

mattblack

Although the original 'Capricorn 1' annoyed me in so many ways -- it isn't actually as bad as some of you may be remembering it. If you rewatch it now, you may be impressed with it's many very well-done set pieces as the Astronauts escape from their captivity and try to expose the conspiracy.

However, this film also says a couple things loud and clearly: that the Apollo lunar landings DID happen and it discusses some of the reasons for the cancellation of Apollo -- Scene with that soliliquoy by actor Hal Holbrook's character:

http://www.sfwriter.com/2006/03/caprico ... loquy.html

These scenes and the pretty good cast of actors saves 'Capricorn 1' from Turkeydom. Seek it out and you'll see what I mean.

A

andrew_t1000

I bought it the other day for AUS$10, it was still good, although the helicopter chase was not as gut wrenching as it was in the front row of the cinema.
I know a lot of people blame this movie as somehow being the genesis of the Apollo hoax, but there were a lot of assholes saying the moon landings were faked before Capricorn 1 came out.
I would like to point out, with great pride, that Apollo hoax crap gets short shrift here in Australia!
Watch an Australian movie called "The Dish" and you will see why!
'Coz if there was an Apollo Landing hoax conspiracy, then the Australian government, the CSIRO and the whole population of Parkes in New South Wales were in on "it" to!
It's kinda sad that quite a few of our younger generations here in Australia are totally ignorant of the great work and pioneering discoveries we here in Australia have made, particularly in the fields of Astronomy and Astrophysics.

Z

ZenGalacticore

2001Kubrick":2vcwp6hp said:
http://fusedfilm.com/2009/05/development-hell-regencys-capricorn-one-remake/

So it appears that Hollywood is so desperate for new material that they've resorted to remaking old cheeseball 70s flicks. I wasn't around for the original, but the idea of remaking Capricorn One makes me a little queasy. I have this sinking feeling that this movie will end up being the typical "America hating", pseudoscience, conspiracy theory film that will kick NASA when it is most in need of funding and support. Hopefully, I'm wrong and this movie is just another garden-variety sci-fi thriller that will go quickly into cult status.

The last thing we need is the braindead tin foil hatters to usurp a few more percentage points of the naive mainstream.

"Hollywood" is obviously desparate for material, otherwise they wouldn't be doing so many re-makes across the board.

Why not call this remake "Capricorn Two"? The first one, in my opinion, was so bad, why in the world would anybody want to do a remake? Traditionally, remakes are done of films that were successful in their own times. You hit it right on! They are doing this remake of the originally awful conspiracy themed "Capricorn One" because they know that there's an 'x' million strong audience for space program/Apollo conspiracy woo-woo whack-jobs and other psuedo-scientific imbeciles, and the frauds who make money off of them.

Can a psuedo-science 'conspiracy theory film' really "kick NASA when it's down" is the question. I mean, whatever it is, it's just a movie. If films have become so powerful, if the people are so easily swayed, if they're really that stupid, then perhaps Hitler and the Nazis had it right, in that the masses cannot be trusted to think for themselves in the face of the power of motion pictures. Scary.

But hey, where would that leave us? Should we give control of motion pictures to the government? That causes uncomfortable tingles on my spine more than any imagined, easily influenced ignorant public or even Jewish entertainment conspiracy. We have to have faith, as Americans, in Americans, and in America, that at least a sizeable portion of the population isn't so stupid. (I'm not saying a majority of the population isn't stupid, necessarily. Just that a sizeable chunk is reasonably educated and capable of critical thought.)

Perhaps we should use government to usurp control of the motion-picture film industry. After all, we can't trust the people to think for themselves. And we sure as hell can't trust these Hollywood producers.

Nah.

NASA can barely get the American People-thru Congress- to enthusiastically fund anything space related, and I don't think that lack of enthusiasm has anything to do with Americans in general believing that the Apollo Program was faked, or that it's all a sham. It's because most of them are involved-and only concerned with- their day-to-day lives and selfish aspirations,... and... ... ... they're stupid.

N

nimbus

jim48":m5g3pgwn said:
A re-make will probably be a lot darker, as they tend to be.
A reverse-malice script giving the crackpots and NASA/USA haters a taste of their own medecine, after a long misleading straight remake of the original during the first 2/3d's of the movie would be excellent. :D

D

docm

Last I heard John Moore (Max Payne, The Omen remake and the Flight of the Phoenix remake) was to direct.

D

doom_shepherd

...because what the world needs now is ANOTHER paranoid conspiracy movie / TVseries / book. 50 billion of them just isn't enough. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.