Capsule locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ambrous

I have seen lists of locations of the NASA historic space capsule, but never the USSR. Is there a list of the locations of the Vostok, Voskhod and Soyuz capsules? Are any of them on display?

L

lampblack

Here's one article that discusses museums relating to the Russian space program.<br /><br />One place even has the preserved carcass of Strelka, a dog that survived being shot into space. And a Soviet spacesuit intended for use on the moon's surface. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

V

vogon13

Smithsonian has (had?) one. Don't know if it was a replica or actual flown hardware.<br /><br />FWIW, I saw Apollo 8 capsule at the planetarium in Chicago. Think they had one of the Mercury capsules too.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

N

nuaetius

The Russians handle their space hardware differently than the US does. The RSA does not own the Soyuz capsules, they contract with Energiya to build the capsules, and after the mission is completed ownership of the capsule reverts back to Energiya. Most of the Capsules are at the RKK Energiya Museum. I think one was sold to a private collector during the collapse of the Soviet Union, and a few are on loan around the world.

P

PistolPete

When I was there about a year ago, the Smithsonian had a TKS VA capsule, a flown Soyuz capsule, a complete unflown Soyuz as part of the ASTP display, the Soviet Krechet lunar spacesuit, the Berkut spacesuit worn by Aleksei Leonov on the Voskhod 2 mission, the Sokol SK-1 worn by Yuri Gagarin during the Vostok 1 flight, and the Sokol-KV2 spacesuit worn by Denis Tito. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts