Carl Sagan: Cosmos, Pale Blue Dot & famous quotes

There is a "whole ocean of knowledge" at one's local library and on the internet. It is never too late nor is one too old to learn from the past. For those as novices, try reading "The Ascent of Man" as well as "The Demon-Haunted World" along with viewing the DVD's. For me it was a latter life level set and the start of an interest which is habit forming.

COLGeek

When I graduated from high school in 1981, I was gifted a signed copy of "Cosmos" by two of my teachers. I read and re-read it many times before is was destroyed in a house fire in 1984.

Sagan had a huge impact on me then and now.

Carl Sagan was very interesting as long as he stuck to pure science. I'm a lifelong student of history. Sagan angered me to no end once he started in on philosophy. And that was all it was, his philosophy, his opinions concerning history and sociology in particular, it was neither testable nor cosmological science. I've always detested all religious zealotry (including secular zealot religiosity) . . . excepting my own zealotry for my own independent philosophical and sociological beliefs of course.

So I've a very strong belief that rule that doesn't include some imagined, some realized, being outside one's own self and one's secular group state, is no rule at all. As the man once said long, long ago, "When a man is freed from the bonds of dogma and custom, where will he run? He has gotten loose of the soul, if you like the word, or from whatever keeps a man on two feet instead of four. And now Kritias too is running on the mountains, with no more between him and his will than a wolf has."

Latest posts