Carl Sagan: I Miss This Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gravity_Ray

I miss him very much, and I miss his voice of reason that we so sadly are losing in our polarized and shout down society.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkC7ralR30[/youtube]

G

Gravity_Ray

Re: I miss this man

kristina3313":3e8jj9e4 said:
Not able to view this link.

Sorry about that... I simply have to accept the fact that I suck at putting in videos. :lol:

I edited my post, hopefully it works now. Enjoy.

K

kristina3313

Gravity_Ray":xpqtji7p said:
kristina3313":xpqtji7p said:
Not able to view this link.

Sorry about that... I simply have to accept the fact that I suck at putting in videos. :lol:

I edited my post, hopefully it works now. Enjoy.

And yet you are better than me ;), I just know how to post a highlighted page link, not a screen of a video.

Thank you, great video!

Z

ZenGalacticore

Ditto. Everybody who ever saw "Cosmos" or read it, or read any of his other books, misses Dr. Sagan.

I only wish he'd had lived to see all the exoplanets we've discovered. But, like many people, he always knew they were there! Numbers don't lie.

After all, why should our single, solitary star be the only one with planets? Still, I wish he had lived to see confirmation of alien worlds. Probably 100s of billions of them in our Galaxy alone.

Here's an excerpt from one of my favorite chapters/episodes of "Cosmos". From Chapter 12, Encyclopaedia Galactica:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42m4Kbke54Q[/youtube]

G

Gravity_Ray

Even though looking at the series Cosmos now it appears a bit dated, it still holds its own, because it was just so far beyond its time. It shows what is possible when a person is at peace and thinks about science, absent any personal biases.

Up until Dr. Sagan’s series, and ever since then, nobody has made me feel so positive about the future of humans and our destiny to move out to space.

Thanks for the video Zen. For some reason today, I just needed to hear him a bit. So I was cruising youtube for his videos.

Kristina3313 when you want to imbed a video just start a post and in the top bar of the post you will see a button marked “youtube”. Click that and just copy and paste the URL of the video you want in middle of the code (the cursor is already in the middle where it needs to be). At least that’s what is supposed to happen, and even though its easy, I still manage to screw it up from time to time.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Other than our ignorance about quasars and a few other things at the time (1980) that have since been discovered or solved, 'Cosmos' has held up remarkably well in the 30 years since its publication. Like a good Zeppelin song, it's just timeless.

Another reason it's sad that Carl was taken at the now young age of 62, since he would've updated 'Cosmos' another two times from the one update he did round 1991. They have updated the visual graphics, btw, without monkeying around with the content.

Y

yevaud

Gravity_Ray":2v5mhdem said:
Kristina3313 when you want to imbed a video just start a post and in the top bar of the post you will see a button marked “youtube”. Click that and just copy and paste the URL of the video you want in middle of the code (the cursor is already in the middle where it needs to be). At least that’s what is supposed to happen, and even though its easy, I still manage to screw it up from time to time.

Note that there's a problem, but the user can fix it easily.

If the URL is as follows: http:// www. youtube. com/watch?v=47unuQT6dac&feature=related it won't display here as an embed, because of the &featured related stuff. You have to paste the URL and then delete everything from the ampersand onwards. Then it'll display fine.

(note the spaces in the URL, btw)

E

EvanB

Carl Sagan's work changed my life in so many ways. I never knew of him when he was alive (I was just 4 when he died), but by watching and reading his work, I've really grown to appreciate him. He's definitely one of the greatest men to ever walk this planet.

B

bdewoody

He was one of my heros too. I watch the series "Cosmos" every time one of the networks decides to run it and it seems like I always pick up on something I either missed or forgot from previous viewings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts