Cheap pohotovoltaic

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nexium

On another thread in space.com/ free space, I think: I suggested that 25 gigawatts, worldwide was about the upper limit for roof top solar arrays, without diminishing returns. To get more than 25 gigawatts worldwide we can build some solar energy farms, but the land cost is high most places where there are a significant number of near by customers for the electricity. An exception is almost free land which is power line right-a-ways. Both the high and medium voltage right-a-ways are typically wide enough to allow some of the 1 meter by ten meter strips to be erected on frames like big bill boards but leaning for best sun angle, and still allow maintenance vehicles to service the power lines.<br /><br /> Initially only the sunniest locations near an existing transformer should be selected. The inverters can supply one of the phases on the lower voltage side of the transformer. This may envolve a dozen inverters with outputs in series, but I think that is practical. The solar panels can provide shelter for the inverters. Most of the electricity will be used locally, which improves efficiency. The average load on the transformer is reduced, which is good. The only disadvantage, I'm aware of is some of the power monitoring equipment may need to be redesigned, but that is also true if there are lots of roofs feeding the grid at times. If there are a million ideally located transformers world wide that are connected to 25,000 watts of solar on the average, we have another 25 gigawatts. We likely can average more than 25,000 watts per transformer, before diminishing returns become significant. Neil<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts