China aspires to go to moon and mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nyarlathotep

First complaint, the TLD is owned by South Africa. I'd take this report as 'non-authorative'.<br /><br />Second complaint, I don't really know why they want to go there as they're both barren wastelands with no economic resources. If they want to see a barren wasteland it's much easier just to march up to Siberia. Atleast there they can drill for oil and do some uranium, copper, and coal mining.<br /><br />No, a rational China is much more likely to be aiming for the near earth asteroids.

V

vulture2

China is quite serious about human spaceflight. Thier main motivation is to demonstrate to the world that their technology is world class and promote their launch services. They do not appear to be interested in a space race of any kind, as demonstrated by thie rather slow launch rate. In fact they have repeatedly proposed docking a Shenzou to the ISS. They are planning a small LEO space station similar to Salyute and unmanned lunar probes, but they currently do not have any official plans for manned flight beyond LEO.

A

alokmohan

Any way China goes one up in space race if they can do it.They join the Mars club.

C

crix

I'll be very upset if China leapfrogs NASA by using American designed and manufactured hardware like the BA330.

A

alokmohan

I wish China compres and then space science will progress by competition.

D

DuhFly

I think it will be a great idea. That will encourage the congress to give NASA more money. <br />You know how congress is. Once it hits the air waves that China has a space station, they will pour money into NASA so we can beat the Chinese to the moon and mars. Well, at least I hope so :)

J

j05h

Bigelow is subject to ITAR, so Chinese spacecraft using BA330s is unlikely for now. Bigelow's future products (barring ITAR) will be sold to anyone: they don't care if the customer is NASA, Space Adventures or your momma. I think there will be several (separate, maybe different inclination) private consortia-built stations before NASA has a BA330. They move to slow compared to private capital. That combined with ITAR will probably prevent Chinese BA330s - they may go in a different design direction or choose to make copies. <br /><br />I'm not sure, but ITAR simplification (and more free trade) with China and Russia make sense. You can get more with honey and a fist than just the fist. IMHO, Russia, China and India should be our new best friends, especially in aerospace ventures. But I think this needs to be on a company and investment level, not governmental (beyond regs). <br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

N

nyarlathotep

<font color="yellow">Bigelow is subject to ITAR, so Chinese spacecraft using BA330s is unlikely for now.</font><br /><br />It would most likely be a lease arrangement with the BA330 operated by Bigelow Aerospace or another American party. Ditto with any other nation wanting a turnkey space program. The only thing that is going to be transfered is docking adaptors and prox ops procedures. <br /><br />If those chinese make space stations anything like they make DVD players, I wouldn't be worried. They'll fall to bits as soon as the 1 year warranty period is over.

J

j05h

> It would most likely be a lease arrangement with the BA330 operated by Bigelow Aerospace or another American party. Ditto with any other nation wanting a turnkey space program. The only thing that is going to be transfered is docking adaptors and prox ops procedures.<br /><br />I attended an ITAR lecture at ISDC '06, leasing to a foriegn entity would be under ITAR scrutiny just as selling. It's not only who owns the object, but who has access to it. The same shotgun you buy at Norm's Guns N Ammo is under ITAR if you ship it to China. Foriegners leasing a BA-330 would still have eyeball-access to the vehicle, plus the Bigelow units will be stuffed with custom life support and other hardware. All of which means that ITAR is a stumbling block to Chinese sales. I recommend reading about the separations involved in the SeaLaunch effort to understand this: they have a firewall between Russian/Ukrainian technicians for the Zenit rocket and the American satellite technicians. <br /><br />Per the lecture I mentioned, ITAR is a "narrow keyhole" instead of a wall. With proper lead-time and the proper anti-IP-theft measures you can ship/launch/sell to other countries. But you absolutely have to jump through the hoops to make it happen, Dept. of Commerce/State has enforcement capability on this. Mr. Bigelow has obviously passed his ITAR paperwork for Russian launch, which is a huge step. <br /><br />I wouldn't be as sure about the fallability of Chinese aerospace manufacturing. If the Shen Zhou is any indication, they are on the cutting edge of human spaceflight. <br /><br />Alok - you're welcome!<br /><br />Some predictions: a Shen Zhou capsule will dock with the ISS before NASA's next capsule. The Chinese space station with that 10-port "node" will be built, but will end up docked to the Russian Segment in place of the Docking&Stowage module. Dupont-Teijin Films will be the first manufacturer in LEO, with a man-tended station sometime around 2015 running co-planar with a Bigelo <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts