Cluster Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

just_some_guy

Does anyone know whether the stars in young star clusters have a characteristic size distribution. I mean, are there typically bigger stars in the centre and smaller stars at the edge? Or some other distribution?

A

adzel_3000

Stars in clusters are valuable laboratories for astronomers because the stars begin their lives at roughly the same time but potentially follow different life-paths. Clusters typically include stars that feature a range of sizes. Thus the stars in a cluster will not become main-sequence at the same time. <br /><br />Within a cluster hi-mass stars evolve more quickly than low-mass stars. The more massive the protostar, the sooner it will dcevelop the internal pressures and temperatures needed for steady hydrogen burning to begin.

J

just_some_guy

The reason I'm asking is that I've seen a lot of images lately of nebulae with newly forming stars, particulary from Spitzer, that show a large blue star (or small group of big stars) that is central to a bubble of gas, with new smaller stars forming in areas of compressed gas. The typical explanation seems to be that the central big star is blowing out the gas bubble with its stellar wind. Thus its seems that the big star promotes the formation of the smaller stars. So, you should typically see clusters with a few big stars in the middle and smaller stars surrounding. Any comments?

S

Saiph

at the moment, that sounds good to me.<br /><br />Of course, the large central star is going to keep any other large stars from forming next to it. And only after the light has faded a bit can the larger clouds (that form large stars) survive...without being widdled away by the light. So you'll tend to have a more distributed large star density.<br /><br />I think.<br /><br />Very sleepy. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts