Comet

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

profcook

Query for projection of path of comet and debris field

D

drwayne

Brevity may be the soul of wit, but it doesn't make for a very good question.<br /><br />A few more details would definitely encourage your search for data on a comet, which I hope next time you will actually provide a name for.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Dr.Wayne - agreed. But just for the heck of it, I'm going to assume it's Holmes (17P) we're talking about here. (Forget the ~30 other comets that are visible [assisted] around the world right now...)<br /><br />Here's Holmes' latest orbital data and a snapshot of its orbit (standing on the surface of Jupiter).<br /><br />http://www.jlrdesigns.com/astrophotography/skycharts/holmes-orbit.jpg <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

And assuming that he meant 17P/Holmes, the debris would continue to orbit very close to the path of the comet from 2 to 5 AU in the asteroid belt. Eventually it would be disbursed as all meteor streams are by gravitional and solar wind and radiation effects. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.