Comets - Not What We Expected

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Just a brief comment.

So far we have seen 4 comet nuclei close up (IIRC). All have shown that most of the surface is inactive with a rocky or possible organic goo layer covering > 90% of the surface. The emissions that create the coma come from very limited areas on the surface. Therefore I don't understand why it should be terribly surprising that the ONE experiment we have conducted, impacting an object into a cometary surface, excavated an area that had little or no ice.

9P/ Tempel 1 is not a particulary active comet (certainly much less so than Halley, or Hale-Bopp) so it would be expected that it's active areas would be even smaller.

The icy content of comets is beyond dispute, considering the spectral measurements showing numerous ice decay by products in the coma of every comet that has been examined in such a way...dozens of them by the way, since a close up is not needed for that.

MW

M

MeteorWayne

Comet 1P/Halley

halley2.jpg

Borelly, normal exposure:

borrelly_close_browse.jpg

Borelly overexposed to bring out faint dust and gas emissions:

borrelly_3.jpg

Comet Wild 2 at normal exposure. See any ice or dust being driven off?

137308main_PIA06285-516.jpg

Wild 2 with coma vastly overexposed to show faint dust and gas emission.

wild2_4.jpg

Y

yevaud

Michael, the threads I have been able to (so far) locate are as follows:

Deep Impact Predictions: http://www.space.com/common/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6504&hilit=deep+impact+predictions

Continuum Between Asteroids and Comets: http://www.space.com/common/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5132&hilit=deep+impact+predictions

Ice on Comet Tempel 1: http://www.space.com/common/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6450&start=0&hilit=deep+impact+predictions

Where's the Discussion on Stardust Data: http://www.space.com/common/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6339&hilit=deep+impact+predictions

Please note that some of these debates were very heated and rancorous. Yet, all involved covered a great deal of territory on this subject.

M

MeteorWayne

Unfortunately, we really are into been there done that territory.

The impact was almost 4 years ago, and the papers came out between 2 and 3 years ago.

Unless you have unlimited time to spare, like a YouTube EPH woo woo, it takes time to dig up the journal articles.

Besides, much of the real science is in Nature or Science, which you have to subscribe to to read in full. I can tell you what they say, but most would probably rather believe you tube, than someone actually reading the scientific facts from the actual articles.

M

Michael_S

Thanks Wayne, what I'm looking for though are the papers.

The NASA web sites only propose postulates with no supporting reviewed papers.

As for the icy structure of comets not being in debate, I have to wonder how this could be so since I've never seen a paper describing how photolysis could occur at such incredibile rates for sub-surface water ice that's not in direct contact with sunlight.

When we look at the spectrum of comets we don't see water, we see OH radicals, which is a huge difference.

I assume you know that already, I'm just restating it for the rest of the forumites.

M

MeteorWayne

Michael_S":d4eii2ve said:
Thanks Wayne, what I'm looking for though are the papers.

The NASA web sites only propose postulates with no supporting reviewed papers.

As for the icy structure of comets not being in debate, I have to wonder how this could be so since I've never seen a paper describing how photolysis could occur at such incredibile rates for sub-surface water ice that's not in direct contact with sunlight.

When we look at the spectrum of comets we don't see water, we see OH radicals, which is a huge difference.

I assume you know that already, I'm just restating it for the rest of the forumites.

As I said, unless you subscribe to Nature or Science, the full papers are not available online.

When I have time I will find the issue numbers so you can try and find them at a local library.

Status
Not open for further replies.