Congress Frets Over Hubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

haywood

Boy! This really steams me.<br />You'd think from the view points of some politicians that the Shuttle is this horribly crippled spacecraft that should be treated with kid gloves whenever it flies again.<br /><br /><br /><br />But with the crash on February 1, 2003, of the space shuttle Columbia, a manned mission to repair Hubble is not worth the risk, said Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-California.<br /><br />"Some people just want to dive back in and use the shuttle as if these catastrophic accidents didn't happen. ... To the degree that we don't have to use the shuttle, we shouldn't use the shuttle," he said.<br /><br />This is the sort of person that makes NASA's job so much harder. People like this have no concept that space is dangerous.<br />I'm so angry I could spit.<br />

L

Leovinus

I don't live in his district. But if I did, I wouldn't have voted for him. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobvanx

Dana Rohrabacher is a staunch supporter of manned space flight. His voting record is very pro-space. <br /><br />A big part of that is that most of his constituents work in the aerospace industry.

H

haywood

From the sound of those comments it looks like he is a supporter of "safe" manned space flight which, unfortunately sometimes, it is not.<br />But I believe that a manned mission is not inherently more dangerous than an ISS mission so his assumption is flawed.<br />I don't get his reasoning at all.<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts