Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

weeman

Hi folks! Haven't been on here in a while.

I recently finished reading the book 'Contact'. I read the whole thing in about a week, I guess I couldn't put it down!

Let me start by saying it's a thumping good read. If you haven't read it and need something to occupy your mind, I would suggest it. Carl Sagan had quite a brain! His level of intellect and commitment to what he loved does not go unnoticed, and he gives the story a very deep human character. His interepretation of how the world's cultures would change, clash, and adapt in a time of ET contact is amazing. Whether you consider yourself to be religious or atheist, the book leaves you with a sense of profound comfort, and that there is a deeper purpose to the universe.

I was just curious what others think of the book, and perhaps how you interpret some of the major events. I realize however this is a spoiler. :)

E

EvanB

I haven't actually read the book, but I watch the movie as if it's a religion. It's one of my all time favorites.

B

Boris_Badenov

I saw the movie when it came out & read the book about 5 years ago. They were both GREAT!!! although very different from each other. It's an excellent story almost without parallel.

B

bdewoody

I read the book long before the movie was made. For me too it was an instant favorite. I think the movie did a pretty good job of sticking to the intent of the book. The biggest difference being the number of cosmonauts that went on the ride of their lives.

W

weeman

Boris_Badenov":1vdt1n96 said:
I saw the movie when it came out & read the book about 5 years ago. They were both GREAT!!! although very different from each other. It's an excellent story almost without parallel.

Indeed the book and movie are very different in many ways. The ending with the letter from her mom is so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts