Cooling major problem with moon base?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baktothemoon

Possibly, but it probably won't be a major problem, I'm more concerned about power and heat during the lunar night. If cooling was a problem it would be very simple to add a sunshade to the modules like Skylab.

S

spacester

Also see<br /><br />http://www.draaisma.net/rudi/<br /><br />This is in the category of "Don't get me started"<br /><br />The author falls into the trap of criticizing everyone else in order to make his case, and rapidly descends to using the least-informed of the pool of people he seeks to criticize. It's an easy trap to fall into, I know it well.<br /><br />Some of that paper I find to be good and some of it is utter crap. A perfect example of the idea that no one person is in position to figure all this stuff out.<br /><br />Cooling is done by radiators facing in the direction of black sky, and shaded from the sun. It is true that there are engineering challenges here, but the physics are very well established and solutions are rather easily derived from that.<br /><br />It is true that the vacuum is an excellent insulator and that excess heat will build up in any habitation or industrial plant - if you forget to design radiators into the plan! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

vogon13

Exploiting the temperature difference between the lunar materials deep underneath the station and the surface might be a suitable power source for all manner of heating, cooling, and power generating devices.<br /><br />Modify heat pump technology (you know, the gadget that cools in summer and heats in winter) to work in lunar conditions.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

D

docm

A natural for Stirling cycle equipment. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts