Cosmic inflation thought experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

captdude

I have a thought experiment I would like some input on.
1) With the ever increasing expansion of the universe through cosmic inflation - at some point in the far distant future the universe should reach a state of complete entropy that will result in the net temperature of the universe reaching absolute zero.
2) At absolute zero all molecular movement stops.

Question #1: What would this mean in relation to time?
Question #2: Would all matter in the universe turn into a Bose–Einstein condensate? (assuming there were an observer to measure it)
Question #3: Would quantum fluctuations in the vacuum of space keep the temperature above absolute zero?
Question #4: What thoughts does this bring to mind?

K

kyle_baron

1. Time would stop. Because time requires change or movement.

2. Don't know.

3. Not likely. Because for any given area of space, the net result is = 0 change in energy.

4. The end of the universe, as we knew it.

T

theridane

Wouldn't the temperature only approach (asymptotically) absolute zero, but never ever reach it?

O

origin

captdude":2syuqdwa said:
I have a thought experiment I would like some input on.
1) With the ever increasing expansion of the universe through cosmic inflation - at some point in the far distant future the universe should reach a state of complete entropy that will result in the net temperature of the universe reaching absolute zero.

First cosmic inflation is the wrong term. Inflation only occurred in the first micro seconds after the big bang.

2) At absolute zero all molecular movement stops.

Absolute zero means there is no energy so that is why there is no molecular movement. I don't think the universe will ever reach absolute zero. If it did that would violate quantum mechanics because then we would 'know' the absolute momentum of the particles (0). I think that there would still be quantim fluctuations in space anyway. I think that the decrease in temperature will be asymptotic - it will approach but never reach absolute zero

So time does not stop - but the universe will be rather boring to say the least.

Now a real physicist can correct me if I am off base - cause this is only my opinion on what would happen!

edited to add: Dang! You beat me by 3 minutes.....

R

rocketmoonman

Alas this is where M Theory might fit in. Is our Universe cyclic? Which way is the arrow going towards the end? or does it simply evolve into something adaptable as in our Earth Biological systems, therefor the other dimensions remain? Or simply we connect to another membrane then POW a new Big Bang?

C

captdude

Origins wrote.
Absolute zero means there is no energy so that is why there is no molecular movement. I don't think the universe will ever reach absolute zero. If it did that would violate quantum mechanics because then we would 'know' the absolute momentum of the particles

That is why question #2 was asked in my original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts