"Cosmos" by Carl Sagan

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

Even though I have seen the entire series several times I will still pause and watch an episode every time I see that it is airing. Sagans voice is that of a great teacher.

G

Gravity_Ray

This is "THE" TV show that got me into science. Carl Sagan is a 5 star teacher.

B

Boots09

When I was in Jr. High I sprained my ankle running cross country track. I was basicly off my feet for two weeks. I got my nights & days mixed up...sleeping on the couch. I asaked my dad to pick up some vidios for me. I was thinking movies. He brought home the cosmos series. I was not really a happy camper. Around midnight out of pure boredome I put the first one in. I watched them all...straight through. To this day Mr. Sagan is an inspiration and hero to me.

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, a great series; I caught two episodes last night. While some of the info is a bit dated (since Science moves at the speed of light :) ), it still stands a tremendous comprehensive and articulate explanation of our Universe.

MW

Z

ZenGalacticore

Yes, 'Cosmos' is a bit dated in some areas. In 1980, we had no sure idea of what quasars are, for example. (Or should I say, what quasars "were".) :)

I'm happy that they re-mastered the visual effects without touching the content, though. Carl would've been very pleased about the power of today's visual technology to help hold the viewer's attention, although, he did a fabulous job of that himself! But I know he would've loved the galaxy simulations that we can do now, as well as any thing else that needs visualizing.

And I'll add that I think the 13 episodes of Cosmos, as well as the companion book, should be required homework viewing and reading for all high school introductory science classes, as well as history and liberal arts classes!! If only all teachers were as talented, bright, and as able to communicate as Sagan!

Status
Not open for further replies.