Could a drone aircraft fly in the Jovian atmosphere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

A balloon or some other type of aircraft could stay in the areas of interest longer than a drop probe like Galileo used. I suppose the idea posibility would be a blimp.<br /><br />Problems that I would like to see discussed in this thread:<br /><ol type="1"><li>With lighter than air vehicles, how do you get lighter than Jupiter's atmosphere?<li>How do you power the craft for months or years? Can we use Jupiter's internal heat source?<li>What about radiation?</li></li></li></ol> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

I think the answer will probably be yes. Its a matter of deciding if its worth doing from a cost angle. Your probably right in proposing balloon or blimps. They offer the longest duration where winged craft would require fuel to keep them going. That is, more fuel than blimps.<br /><br />Economy class missions might involve blimps that sink until they become useless and eventually succumb to Jupiters atmospheric pressure at lower depths.<br /><br />1:<br />Start off by deploying vehicles at altitudes where you can get lighter than Jupiters atmosphere.<br /><br />2:<br />Initially power will probably be provided by RTGs. Then it may be possible to devise systems that can utilize Jupiters internal heat.<br /><br />3:<br />I'd say this will be a difficult obstacle to overcome but not impossible, especially with advances in electronic systems that are expected in the next few decades. Electronics being the area most succeptable to radiation.<br /><br />These answers are pretty general but if I sat down and came up with more specifics...it would take more time than I have to verify some of the details.<br /><br />BTW, do you remember that graphic I did of Jupiters red spot as viewed from an endoatmospheric probe that I did a few months back? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

C

cuddlyrocket

"With lighter than air vehicles, how do you get lighter than Jupiter's atmosphere?"<br /><br />Hot-air balloon.

H

henryhallam

I think Jupiter's atmosphere should provide at least some protection from the radiation (can't imagine anything similar to a Van Allen belt persisting in an atmosphere)

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>BTW, do you remember that graphic I did of Jupiters red spot as viewed from an endoatmospheric probe that I did a few months back?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>Vaguely. You got a link? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

How about this type of probe ;<br /> <br /> Exploration of Jovian Atmosphere Using Nuclear Ramjet Flyer<br /><br /> http://www.niac.usra.edu/files/library/meetings/annual/jun02/510Maise.pdf <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

W

willpittenger

I don't like it. This design appears to leave radiation in its wake. That would through off all readings of future probes (and maybe that probe if it crosses its previous path). Furthermore, the speeds involved would make readings impossible. (That's the problem NASA had with the SR-71. It was just too darned fast to measure ozone over the south pole.) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

<font color="yellow"> This design appears to leave radiation in its wake. </font><br /><br /> Can you quote the section of the article that makes you think this? <br /><br /><br /><font color="yellow">Furthermore, the speeds involved would make readings impossible. </font><br /><br />Do you think this works against orbital probes as well? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Do you think this works against orbital probes as well?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />You must be kidding. Orbital probes can't measure direct atmospheric conditions. If we send an aircraft, that's what we want. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

willpittenger:<br />Vaguely. You got a link?<br /><br />Me:<br />Go to "Amazing images" and look for the thread, "My 3D stuff", I posted the image on page 5 towards the bottom. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

N

nyarlathotep

>"I don't like it. This design appears to leave radiation in its wake."<br /><br />It leaves ****** all in its wake compared to that massive plasma torus between jupiter and Io. Do you know anything at all about how hostile the jovian environment is, or are you just spurting anti-radiation hippie crap?<br /><br /> />"You must be kidding. Orbital probes can't measure direct atmospheric conditions."<br /><br />Plenty of orbital vehicles make particle measurements.

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Plenty of orbital vehicles make particle measurements.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Not directly though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

I am beginning to think that a blimp or Zepplin-type dirgible might be the best way to go. Either could accomodate large tranmission dishs inside the main bag. Otherwise, you have the dish outside wrecking the aerodynamics. It's either that or you do without a dish. That however, forces you to have a relay probe close by. Just having it in Jovian orbit won't do.<br /><br />Now, how should a blimp or dirgible be delivered to the Jovian atmosphere? Insertion should prove awkward at best. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

I just checked in case it was some technical glitch but all looks okay.<br /><br />Its in "Amazing Images" forum, the thread is "My 3D stuff" and if you click on page 5, go to the bottom, you'll see the images. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

I found one Jovian atmospheric pic, but I'm afraid if you were referring to an image in particular, you might include a link direct to that post. It took me too long to sort though all the posts in that thread. I would have used flat mode, but all those pics would take my dial-up connection forever. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

There has to be a glitch at your end. On my PC I see 5 pages on that thread. On page 1, I have hypothetical concepts of manned probes in orbit around Ganymede with Jupiter in the distance.<br /><br />I added the redspot and Europa images to the bottom of page 5. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Heres the redspot image. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

Page 5 in the <i>thread</i>? I was talking about page 5 in the forum. You must be talking about flat mode. As noted previously, I can't wait for flat mode due to the time it would take to download all those images at once with dialup. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

That's the pic I saw in your Amazing Images thread. However, I think if you posted that in this forum, you did so without the frame. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

If you say that one, its exactly the same as the amazing images one because I simply saved it from there back to my HD then copied it here.<br /><br />I may have posted originally without the frame back months ago. I have no idea where I posted it then. I didn't show the craft on which the camera is mounted because I didn't actually have to build the craft. The frame you see is a flat scree TV on a green wall. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

I don't know what mode I'm in but all I know is, I had the image on page 5. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

strandedonearth

The number of pages all depends on the individual users' preference settings for the number of posts or threads per page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts