Could climate change make humans go extinct?

Not seeing genocide on a massive scale solving too many problems. I get the gist of your comment, but not likely to happen short an external factor that mankind has no control over.
I'm not talking genocide. If climate change really becomes a problem people are simply going to die from starvation and lack of fresh water, as well as heat stroke. There is no volunteering involved!

Since climate change probably pushed hominids to evolve into homo sapiens it is appropriate that climate change culls the 'tree' on occasions.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I'm not talking genocide. If climate change really becomes a problem people are simply going to die from starvation and lack of fresh water, as well as heat stroke. There is no volunteering involved!

Since climate change probably pushed hominids to evolve into homo sapiens it is appropriate that climate change culls the 'tree' on occasions.
This jives with my previous external factor comment. If (since?) we let the climate get out of control, life as we know it will suffer immeasurably (agreed on that point). No argument there. The science is pretty compelling, in spite of the naysayers and their denials.

Last edited:
This jives with my previous external factor comment. If we let the climate get out of control, life as we know it will suffer immeasurably (agreed on that point). No argument there. The science is pretty compelling, in spite of the naysayers and their denials.
"If we let the climate get out of control"... Climate change is already out of control! Life as we know it WILL change. We hit a tipping point about a decade ago and are now seeing the impact(s). Ocean levels are rising. Ocean temperatures are increasing along with the impact on weather this will cause. Glaciers are disappearing. Permafrost is rapidly melting. Ocean ice coverage in both the Arctic and Antarctic is decreasing every year. Global temperatures are rising; some areas will become hotter and deserts; some will become warmer and wetter. Even if we totally eliminated CO2 emissions tomorrow, the damage is already done and it will take 50+/- years, maybe even 100 years, for a correction. At present our only option is quite simple; adapt or die!!

Don't get me wrong. I'm an eternal optimist. We, the human race, will get through this and survive. We will learn to treat our home, the Earth, with a lot more respect! My children, grandchildren and their offspring will thrive but in a quite different world...

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
What was thought to likely to happen 30-20 years ago happening right now.
In many areas the weather went to extremes this summer, some ecosystems survival already under threat (Burning Siberia, boiling shores, etc.).
Surveillance from earth and space and coordination, let them be timely.
Mapping (mathematical, not putting on the World map literally) overpopulation vs resources consumption (hence, lifestyle). Birth rate and power consumption per person are not correlated. Example (going to extremes): a lonely educated adult locked down in their flat with a boiler, electric kettle, microwave oven, several laptops/desktops, hot shower, air conditioner in summer, hot floor in winter, even electric car charging near home; and working for a sophisticated ML algorithm feeding to server farms. Another example will be contrary to the previous. This is not a surprise for many locations on the planet, right?
P.S.: Also being an optimist, I have checked, for ML technology power consumption drastic decrease techniques are already announced. We need them for fast decision making.