Could we eavesdrop on aliens by detecting signals relayed around the sun?

Yeah, sorta. WE are not going to use the Sun to magnify radio waves from another star, we are going to assume aliens have positioned a transmitter at a point 550 AU away from our Sun opposite our nearest star, Proxima Centauri. The aliens would be using the Sun to direct their signals to the star and to magnify the return signals. Then we are going to point our antennas at that point and see if we can intercept the spillover from one of their transmissions.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
And how will we recognise alien signals as signals? Since the British Empire sadly didn't reach quite that far, the signals are unlikely to be in English or Morse Code. Then, again, it would be something if the aliens had kidnapped Mary Malcolm or McDonald Holbey some years ago - wonderful to hear their voices again.

Cat :)

Reactions: Pogo
Yes, it is similar to establishing communication with a person who has been deaf, dumb and blind since birth. It can be done, it just takes a long time. The only conduit for information exchange is touch.
In the case of an interstellar exchange it is mathematics. Plus we have the additional hindrance of time delay.

This seems somewhat impractical to me. For one thing, nobody mentioned what the "focal length" of our sun would be, so my question is how far away from our sun would a receiver have to be orbiting to get the "lensed" radio transmissions to be focused on it, as opposed to blocked from it by our sun.

Another question in my mind is what noise level does the sun create in the same radio frequencies when looking directly at it?