Could we please initiate "Earth Sciences" forum in SDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silylene

In the prior SDC we had a forum on earth sciences. Earth is afterall our home planet, and the most important planet.

An interest and understanding of earth sciences (mineralology, geology, atmospheric, meterology, climate, radiation belts, etc) is the foundation to approaching and extrapolating to planetary sciences and the behavior of the solar system.

Because of the very close linkage between earth sciences, planetary sciences, there used to be a lot of cross traffic in the old SDC on 'earth sciences', and many of the same people who posted scientific subjects in M&L and SSA and AtA also posted and commented on the many great threads in Earth Sciences. We had great discussion about volcanoes, continental drift, earthquakes, climate behavior with orbital cycles and solar flux, Van Allen belts, atmospheric behavior, erosion processes such as landslides, etc.

Earth Sciences was one of my favorite forums! I really miss Earth Sciences being gone, and with its loss, I think we have all lost a very important perspective on planetary science.

Somehow this very vital forum subject for SDC got left out when we switched to the new phpBB. I looked, and it seems that 'Earth Sciences' was somehow orphaned in the Live Sciences forums. I don't see how this forum belongs there, instead of here, since nearly all the phenomena discussed in Earth Sciences are physical sciences. Also, since this forum was orphaned in LiveSciences, it has had only 3 posts in the last week. Sad.

I propose (DH, please pick one of these):
1. Move 'Earth Sciences' forum back into SDC, where the science fit is much better and more appropriate.
or
2. Start a new Earth Sciences forum in SDC. I am sure MW, myself and others will quickly again populate it with interesting and thriving threads. (And change the description of the orphaned Earth Sciences forum in Live Science to 'How natural phenomena on the big blue marble of ours affects life'....I do think this would be a more appropriate and interesting forum subject to retain within Live Sciences.)

D

doublehelix

Due to technological limitations, I can't move the current Earth Sciences forum from LiveScience to Space.

The only other option is to create a totally new forum here. It was once called "Forces of Nature" on Uplink. In the spirit of compromise, I could create a "Forces of Nature" forum here to avoid confusion with the one on LiveScience.

DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO BE A REGULAR THING (creating new versions of LS forums), but I do see your point that the Earth Sciences seems a bit out of place on LS, compared to the others. :ugeek:

-dh

S

silylene

doublehelix":3sx2uhbx said:
Please find the new Forces of Nature forum, here.
:mrgreen:
-dh

It's been about 10 days since the the new Forces of Nature forum was started. So far, I do think that it is working out well, and the fit of this forum within the scope of other SDC forums is quite good. Again, thank you for listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts