Cowboys & Aliens: cast/crew/poster

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Cowboys & Aliens

Studio: Universal
Release: July 29, 2011

Director: Jon Favreau (Iron Man 1/2/3, Elf, Made) (!)
Producer: Ron Howard (!)
Screenplay: Lawrence Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Damon Lindelof (!!!)

Cast -

Col. Dolarhyde: Harrison Ford
Jake: Daniel Craig
Doc: Sam Rockwell
Ella: Olivia Wilde
Meacham: Clancy Brown
Sheriff: Keith Carradine

Synopsis: In Silver City, Arizona, Apache Indians and Western settlers must lay their differences aside when an alien spaceship crash lands in their city.

cowboysaliensteaserposter.jpg

A

a_lost_packet_

Whoa... Nice cast.

Interesting storyline.

Is it a comedy? Adventure? Drama? Horror story or just a gigantic spoof?

Looks worth paying attention to.

That Age is pretty much ignored today, except in the niche Westerns which usually have smaller shelf-space every year. A few writers have punched through the wall on that topic a couple of time, but nothing that's broken it wide open. But, you know, we've had some pretty nice successes with the Westerns that have come out in the past decade or so. So, the while the market isn't saturated, it's not bereft of quality content.

I'd watch it.

D

docm

IMDB has it listed as "Action, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, War, Western," and io9.com says this, which I find very encouraging-

We got an early look at Wednesday's Cowboys & Aliens trailer. Daniel Craig's alien-fighting cowboy puts James Bond to shame; Harrison Ford has never been nastier; and this really is both a serious western and serious alien invasion movie.

Last week, we were one of a handful of sites invited to the edit bay for Cowboys & Aliens, where we saw the teaser trailer as well as rough, unfinished cuts of the first two reels of the movie, totaling about forty minutes of the movie. We can't say too much about that just yet, but we'll have more to say about what we saw — as well as our conversation with director Jon Favreau — a little later.

For now, here's some of what you can expect from the trailer, which hits the web this Wednesday. The filmmakers have long stressed that this movie isn't a parody or pastiche, and everything we saw confirmed that. Based on what we saw, the trailer accurately captures the movie's serious — but, importantly, never too serious — tone, and it offers tantalizing hints of how the movie will handle both its Western and alien invasion elements. There are definitely images in the trailer that a western movies buff will be able to pick up on as homages to classics of the genre.

But what really excited us — and took us by surprise — was all the pure action on display in the trailer. Daniel Craig's work as James Bond has featured some of the most wonderfully brutal fight scenes in recent memory, and he might actually outdo his super spy alter ego in Cowboys & Aliens. He fights early and often, using any weapons available to him, and he aims to kill, whether he's licensed to or not.

The trailer also hints at how the other main characters fit in. Colonel Dolarhyde is a rare villainous role for Harrison Ford, and the trailer gives us a first look at some unexpected nastiness. The trailer also suggests that Olivia Wilde's Ella isn't all she appears to be. This is something Jon Favreau in part credits to the unique qualities Wilde brings to her acting, which he first noticed when his nine-year-old boy developed an inexplicable fixation with Year One.
>

B

Boris_Badenov

It looks OK, I'm not gonna get my hopes up though.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBKU9WU_wLo[/youtube]

A

a_lost_packet_

Woot! Thanks for the clip!

Actually, it looks pretty darn awesome to me! It's "different", but not crazily so. I almost expected a sort of Plan 9 type of flick, but the preview looks pretty kick-butt.

J

JasonChapman

I am clueless as to what to make of this film, it looks like a silly yarn trying to be deadly serious. Harrison Ford looks a bit grumpy, I always thought it was his intention to steer well clear of the scifi genre.

I think hollywood is not only starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel but also turn it upside down.

B

Boris_Badenov

JasonChapman":2ompkp19 said:
Harrison Ford looks a bit grumpy, I always thought it was his intention to steer well clear of the scifi genre.
Ummm, Star Wars? Han Solo? Blade Runner?

J

JasonChapman

Boris_Badenov":35b0vsom said:
JasonChapman":35b0vsom said:
Harrison Ford looks a bit grumpy, I always thought it was his intention to steer well clear of the scifi genre.
Ummm, Star Wars? Han Solo? Blade Runner?

Yes exactly, what I meant to say was, since Star Wars and Bladerunner, he seems to have steered clear of scifi, Indianna Jones is action adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.