Dark Matter Storms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ihwip

Is it possible that there are large masses of dark matter that might collide with Earth?<br /><br />If DM is energy-less matter, that would mean any kind of impact with a cloud of dark matter or a dark matter asteroid would have a powerful cooling effect on the planet.

D

doubletruncation

This is an interesting idea.<br /><br />There are people who are considering this sort of thing. Frankly I don't know that we have any constraints on the small-scale clumpiness of dark matter (either machos or wimps)... well there are probably some constraints from microlensing surveys but I doubt they're very stringent.<br /><br />If dark matter really can only interact with us gravitationally, then I don't know that it would have such a powerful cooling effect on the planet from thermal conduction. But it would affect the local gravitational field and could mess with the orbits of the planets - which could result in a powerful cooling effect on the planet if we are ejected from the solar system.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

O

olivebird111

heyyy!!!!! thats a good idea for global warming!<br />but what about the side effects, there should be a lot of dark matter storm, because the universe is made out of dark matter..and it just passes through the earth like solar winds, with dense and charged particles

N

nexium

Perhaps Earth has been warming in resent centuries, because of a decrease in dark matter passing through Earth. Neil

A

alokmohan

If DM is energy-less matter, that would mean any kind of impact with a cloud of dark matter .Is dark matter energiless and ordinary matter energetic?

B

beautiful_oblivion

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is DM actually tangeable? It's just hard to wrap my head around that concept.

I

ihwip

As far as I know nobody has ever directly observed dark matter. It has gravity but other than that, how else does it interact?<br /><br />I always thought maybe it is matter that is at absolute zero, because of this, it is not capable of emitting any kind of light. If that is the case then any collision with a warmer piece of matter should cool it and absorb heat. Maybe not.

A

alokmohan

All funny ideas about dark matter.First read something about dark matter.

I

ihwip

I've read plenty about dark matter. The problem is I have yet to find a single article that says what it exactly is.<br /><br />If anybody has a link to provide, I would appreciate it. As is Wikipedia pretty much sums up everything I've read on the subject.

Y

yevaud

Here you are.<br /><br /> I'm certain you'll have questions after reading that, so ask away. Lot's of us around tonight to respond. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts