David Letterman disses frivolous TV shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

David Letterman had Brian Williams on his show tonight and was discussing the current sad state of world conditions when he mentioned some of the shows presented on the Food Networks as being frivolous and disgusting against the backdrop of world hunger. Surprising fare from a TV comedian.

P

PistolPete037

Letterman has long ago stopped being funny/relevant. He needs to just retire and let someone truly talented like Craig Ferguson take the reigns.

Z

ZenGalacticore

90% or more of television is frivolous. He didn't mention all the reality shows? "American Idol"? "Ice Road Truckers"? "Pawn Stars"? "Entertainment Tonight" and all that other garbage?

The second-rate movies that abound on PAY cable channels?

A vast wasteland.

E

Eman_3

There always has been TV shows that refuse to go near any of society's ills. From "Leave it to Beaver" to "Seinfeld", the success of these shows is built on avoiding any mention of poverty, violence, or any other social problem. Other shows, such as "MASH" or "Coronation Street" do, but it's a brave tacic.

TV entertainment is mainly an escape, so it's understandable that most of the fare is designed to give the viewer a feel-good experience. Compounding the problem is the fact that major networks cannot risk offending anyone, so you just won't see anything edgy or pushing boundaries on those networks. The hit TV show "All In The Family" sure wouldn't make it in today's climate, that shows how diluted and pathetically neutral shows have become.

The advent and success of reality and talk shows has reduced television to mindless fare for most, these days we see much too many pathetically talentless bimbos and jerks hogging the airwaves, and for that art and quality as we know it on TV suffers.

D

dragon04

docm":zd59pd04 said:
Pot, meet Kettle :roll:

Hold your cards, we have a Bingo called.

Not that I don't like Letterman, mind you.

A

a_lost_packet_

Eman_3":2natvjcx said:
...The hit TV show "All In The Family" sure wouldn't make it in today's climate, that shows how diluted and pathetically neutral shows have become...

I agree. Well, not necessarily that it wouldn't make it. I love that show. :) But, most are pretty pathetic, that I've seen. Then again... I don't watch them anyway. To tell the truth, I have no idea what the major sitcoms are these days. I've seen Two and a Half Men a few times and chuckled. A couple more at friend's homes I can't remember the names of. But, none struck me as being worth my time watching.

The advent and success of reality and talk shows has reduced television to mindless fare for most, these days we see much too many pathetically talentless bimbos and jerks hogging the airwaves, and for that art and quality as we know it on TV suffers.

I'm sick of reality TV shows even though I don't watch them. I'm tired of hearing about them. I'm tired of seeing ads for them when I'm not even tuned into their channel. And, I'm tired of hearing how great so-and-so is at doing such-and-such on whatever reality show they did it on. If they can't get me a burger and fries right now, which is really what I'd like, I don't give a rip.

B

brandbll

a_lost_packet_":1zsiod4g said:
Eman_3":1zsiod4g said:
...The hit TV show "All In The Family" sure wouldn't make it in today's climate, that shows how diluted and pathetically neutral shows have become...

I agree. Well, not necessarily that it wouldn't make it. I love that show. :) But, most are pretty pathetic, that I've seen. Then again... I don't watch them anyway. To tell the truth, I have no idea what the major sitcoms are these days. I've seen Two and a Half Men a few times and chuckled. A couple more at friend's homes I can't remember the names of. But, none struck me as being worth my time watching.

I'm sick of reality TV shows even though I don't watch them. I'm tired of hearing about them. I'm tired of seeing ads for them when I'm not even tuned into their channel. And, I'm tired of hearing how great so-and-so is at doing such-and-such on whatever reality show they did it on. If they can't get me a burger and fries right now, which is really what I'd like, I don't give a rip.

The Office use to be good, but now it's just too focused on the romantic relationship every single person in the office is having. Thank god this is probably their last season, i wouldn't want to see them ruin a great series anymore. By far the best sitcom on TV is It's Always Sunny in Philladelphia on FX. Hands down, the best show on TV. They always have episodes on Hulu if you're interested.

David Letterman, meh, he sucks. They all suck really. It gets so redundant watching any of their late night shows. Ever since i got cable i never watch them, even if i see they are going to have someone on that i want to see. The last time i watched one of those shows was the very end of Conan's show a few months ago.

L

lildreamer

Here's a thought would a show featuring a Character like Archie Bunkier - All in the Family make it in our current environment - or would it get watered down....??

B

bdewoody

To a point I think Letterman should be applauded for taking a few minutes of his show to in effect bite the hand that feeds him. That's why I liked the movie Network and it's famous line "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore". Unfortunately since that movie came out things have gotten worse and a cheap TV add has stolen the line.

M

mindopener9

David Letterman helped me keep my sanity during the Bush Administration. I forever be grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts