DAWN OF A NEW ERA! US CAN BUY RUSSIAN SPACECRAFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yurkin

Spacefire I don’t know where your getting end of the shuttle from that. But then again I don’t know where you get most of the things you think.<br /><br />I think this mainly means that Nasa astronauts can use Soyuz as a lifeboat. That means that they can continue to stay for 6 months on a mission.<br />

B

barrykirk

Too many US jobs depend on the Shuttle... The only reason they would use the Russian Space Craft is because they can't use the shuttle to meet our contractual obligations.<br /><br />Sorry to sound sarcastic, but that's the way I see it.

C

CalliArcale

Fantastic news! The inability to buy stuff directly from the Russians has been a real pain.<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Really curious what the implications of this are going to be. Is the Shuttle going to be thrown away effective immediately?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />No. The Shuttle remains vital for delivery and installation of the really large components. But Soyuz can substitute for the Shuttle's crew replacement capabilities, and that's what NASA is interested in. Russia is having serious problems funding it; NASA would rather buy Soyuz spacecraft than have the ISS wind up temporarily uncrewed. <br /><br />EDIT: I let my enthusiasm get the better of me. I reread the article. This doesn't let NASA buy Soyuz spacecraft, but does allow them to buy other hardware or services related to the ISS until 2012. It might allow NASA to work out a barter arrangement with Rosaviacosmos; they can buy various components equal to the value of a Soyuz. But it would be simpler to just buy Soyuz directly. According to the article, legislators are considering permitting that. I hope they do. It would make things simpler. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

V

vt_hokie

www.nasawatch.com:<br /><br />Is OMB Considering Shuttle Termination?<br /> Editor's 19 Sep note: David Radzanowski at OMB issued an action to NASA at the beginning of September asking the agency to provide him with an estimate of what shutdown costs would result from a termination of the Space Shuttle program in FY 2006. NASA provided a response to OMB on 9 September.<br /><br /> Editor's 21 Sep note: Reporters have been calling NASA PAO to get a comment on this NASA Watch posting. PAO's response is something along the lines of "we continue to hold meetings with OMB ..." i.e. no confirmation, no denial. Meanwhile, OMB PAO has been calling NASA and asking them what they should say in response to media inquiries. Stay tuned.<br /><br />

S

shuttle_rtf

You really need to stop bouncing around these three ladies with some sort of a death dance.<br /><br />This has not changed from when Russia offered the Soyuz.

M

mattblack

I think this is a good thing. If the U.S. bought 1 extra Soyuz per year over what's being used now, a "full" crew of 3 could be back aboard ISS from early next year. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.