Deadly bacteria on Mars

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Who can say there is not a deadly virus on Mars which we can not determine? We can't bring back samples from Mars. It would kill all life here just like it may have only Mars. Anylize the dirt there and send back the results. There are unfathomable contagians we can't recognize with our equipment. The space craft and all equipment should stay there just to be on the safe side. The only race we are in is not a Mars contest but the human race.

Wolfshadw

For starters, Martian rocks have already been here for millions (if not billions) of years. Any contagions viable on Mars have likely been here already and we humans have become immune to them. There is even a theory that states all life on Earth arose from the impact of a Martian meteor.

Secondly, any sample return will certainly be contained in a high bio-hazard containment vehicle. We have protocols in place for the worst diseases/viruses on Earth. They should be sufficient for anything we might bring back from Mars.

-Wolf sends

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
For starters, Martian rocks have already been here for millions (if not billions) of years. Any contagions viable on Mars have likely been here already and we humans have become immune to them. There is even a theory that states all life on Earth arose from the impact of a Martian meteor.

Secondly, any sample return will certainly be contained in a high bio-hazard containment vehicle. We have protocols in place for the worst diseases/viruses on Earth. They should be sufficient for anything we might bring back from Mars.

-Wolf sends
I would like to interject here that martian rocks, or more clearly meteorites heat up to thousands of degrees entering the earth's atmosphere. Any contaminants or organisms contained in them would very likely die. The return of Martian material from the rovers poses a low risk but must not be discounted as a threat. There is a blog about the Martian Peril at https://www.chishikitree.org/blog.html that might interest people. What with the recent pandemic it is advisable to "Leave it on Mars."

Tenchi

Wolfshadw

I would like to interject here that martian rocks, or more clearly meteorites heat up to thousands of degrees entering the earth's atmosphere. Any contaminants or organisms contained in them would very likely die....

Key words there being, "very likely". Truth is we just don't know. However the same fears were abundant when samples were returned from the moon, I would think that our isolation technology has improved significantly since then.

-Wolf sends

Oct 14, 2020
Visit site
Hmm... whatever diseases
are brought back to earth,
I just hope Great Apes are
immune...
o2.gif

Latest posts