Deep-Sky For Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

I was wondering what everyone thought would be some easy targets for someone beginning deep-sky observing in moderate light pollution with a 4'' reflector.

D

doubletruncation

The globular cluster M13 (in hercules) is an excellent target for a small scope with moderate light pollution (I can see it fairly clearly with binoculars from my balcony in the city with a streetlight 10 meters away). The ring nebula M57 (in lyra) is also a very neat little guy. Toward the south M4 in Scorpius is a very neat globular cluster (it's real easy to find too, just west of antares). In general I think any messier globular cluster is a good target, open clusters can also be good targets (particularly with binoculars, I especially like the double cluster in perseus). A few planetary nebulae are also good targets (the ring nebula is probably the easiest one to see, the dumbbell (M27) in Vulpecula is also pretty nice).<br /><br />In the fall you should be able to see andromeda, and later on the pleiades (which are dazzling if you use the least magnification eyepiece you have or binoculars), and then of course there's the orion nebula in the winter.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

astrokid14

I took your advice and going to try for M57 tonight; it seems simple enough.

A

astrokid14

I tried to find M57, but I cannot see the guide constellation Lyra because of light pollution. Does this mean I will not be able to see M57 itself?

T

tfwthom

Saguaro Astronomy Club (SAC) here in Phoenix has a nice list (and other lists) of 110 of the brightest deep sky objects in the night sky that can easily be viewed with a telescope from light polluted sites. A light polluted site is one with enough light that the Milky Way is not visible with the unaided eye.<br /><br />http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/Objects-Viewable-From-Metro-Phoenix-For-SAC-Award.htm<br /><br />If you can see it in Phoenix you shouldn't have a problem seing them anywhere.<br /><br />Note: awards are only for SAC members<br /><br />other lists:<br /><br />http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/Things-to-view.htm<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

A

astrokid14

Thanks for the map, I printed it and will use it tonight. I'm also looking for M27. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

A

astrokid14

Well, I didn't find M57, but I think I'm getting closer. I also had a new experience of having a mosquito fly down your throat making your gag. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts