did anyone watch Moon for Sale on the science channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danhezee

the show talked about mining the moon for Helium 3 for fusion power plants. it was very interesting. what do you guys think about mining the moon? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

richalex

I'm all for it! Mine away! Mine, mine, mine, all mine! <br /><br />It would be nice if we actually had a working He3 nuclear fusion reactor.

Q

qso1

Nothing really new...in fact, its gotten so old that we should be doin it by now. Fusion power plants right here on earth are just 25-50 years away no matter what year you happen to be in.<br /><br />To answer your question, I'd like to see it become reality. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

D

danhezee

IIRC, they said the only Helium 3 scientist can get their hands on is decommissioned nukes. And that is the biggest hurdle with Helium 3 reactors. also, they said a ton of Helium 3 is worth billions of $$$$. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

Thats essentially true, but the other hurdle is building a functional fusion plant that won't cost billions right here on earth. We have barely begun to harness fusion power in anything other than nukes. Eventually I expect mining will be going on...on the moon. I just doubt I'll see it in my lifetime and I'm 52 now. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

B

bdewoody

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>IIRC, they said the only Helium 3 scientist can get their hands on is decommissioned nukes. And that is the biggest hurdle with Helium 3 reactors. also, they said a ton of Helium 3 is worth billions of $$$$. <br />Posted by danhezee</DIV><br /><br />For some reason I still believe that if it were found that gold or platinum was sitting on the surface of the moon that people would be climbing all over each other to get there.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I saw that the California gold rush made many more millionaires out of the people that sold supplies than those who actually found gold.&nbsp; There is just something deep inside us that makes us crave gold (Watched the "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" last night.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>And that stuff about the moon being another Antartica that needs to be preserved to me is a bunch of rubbish</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts