Did i view Venus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nevers

More then likely you're looking at Mars. Directions are a funny thing in the sky.

A

atticus808

is Mars pretty bright in the night sky?<br />shines kind of white?

F

formulaterp

It was almost certainly Mars. Mars is currently the second brightest object in the night sky behind Venus. If you want to see Venus, look in basically the same part of the sky around 6-7pm local time. You can't miss it.

M

markj_87

I recommend people download this program: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2128873/home-planet<br /><br />It's called Home Planet and it's a completely free astronomy program that's extremely comprehensive, user-friendly and has many useful features. I always use it. Another advantage is that you can have it on your computer so there's no need to connect to the internet to use it. Perhaps the most useful aspect is the 'animate' function which allows you to move through time and view the sky. For example, with regards to this thread, you could use the program to see the sky at the exact time in question to the minute from your location.<br /><br />Try it!

A

atticus808

thanks everyone<br />i will try to find venus tonight if possible<br />and if i remember

U

unlearningthemistakes

I downloaded the prog. thanks for sharing. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>pain is inevitable</p><p>suffering is optional </p> </div>

M

markj_87

If you have any problems or questions with the program just give me a shout. To look at your sky as at appears now, just go to Display and then Sky, but first you'll need to set your location. Go to Edit and Set Observer's Location, then File and Save Settings when you've done it. :) <br /><br />There's some really cool stuff in the Object Catalogue too - constellation names, stars and magnitudes, meteor shower dates and useful things like that.<br /><br />Mark.

A

atticus808

at around 11:00pm MST<br />i viewed something at about 31 degrees NW of the moon<br />Latitude 53.5<br />is it venus or juptier or what was it?<br />it seemed like a tiny ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts