Did the Tonga undersea volcano eruption cause this year's extreme heat?

Aug 5, 2020
Visit site
Just the sort of article headline the world needs less of. Thanks so much for giving the climate deniers yet another stick to beat the planet with, because none of them will read the article. Dumb thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the sort of article headline the world needs less of. Thanks so much for giving the climate deniers yet another stick to beat the planet with, because none of them will read the article. Dumb thing to do.

Well, it apparently did affect the weather with increased heat to some extent, and volcanic eruptions have changed the climate historically, so it's not a terrible question to ask. The climate deniers will concoct anything to support their narrative. That shouldn't stop us from asking reasonable questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ken Fabian
Well, it apparently did affect the weather with increased heat to some extent, and volcanic eruptions have changed the climate historically, so it's not a terrible question to ask. The climate deniers will concoct anything to support their narrative. That shouldn't stop us from asking reasonable questions.

Three years in a row of La Nina conditions coming to an end is enough to give a spike of apparent warming, on top of the underlying global warming. The full effects of the developing el Nino won't be felt until later this year and early next, so attribution to that seems unlikely. But, like stepping up and down on a rising escalotor expect more records being broken when ENSO does a step up from la Nina to neutral and another step up with el Nino.

Probably has been made a bit warmer by the raised stratospheric water vapor from the Tonga volcano (but not that much) as well as reduced shipping pollution (that masks warming) by stricter rules on using high sulfur fuels. I expect a spike in global temperatures by these combining but lasting change to the rate of warming? That will still depend most of all on emissions - which are still rising, just not as fast as before. I would like to believe we are approaching the turning point, with new renewables not just displacing FF growth but reducing overall FF use.

Thermal drilling is cheap (1% that of drilling), quick - 10 times faster through granite, can be done anywhere, eliminates drill bit, mud, casing, goes 100 km deep. Any conventional power plant (coal, oil, gas, nuke) can have its fuel source replaced for about $1M. Endless, free, safe, no pollution. If this works, it will user in a revolution.

Sep 26, 2023
Visit site
The article was apparently written by the administrator. I don't know what his/her level of expertise is but the premise of the article looks to be based on presumptions that the climate change is primarily man made..
Do any of the climate religion zealots factor in the two percent increase in the world's atmospheric moisture content on the global scale. The earth has been warming ever since the end of the last ice age. I submit that the global warming is primarily natural and inevitable. I also submit that the Hunga Tonga eruption increasing the Earth's atmospheric moisture more than two percent has reversed and delayed the global warming trend for at least three to seven years. That is probably a good thing. Please stop casing on American fossil fuel producers. If you want to make a significant impact, lobby against China. It is time we discussed that impact since the dirty air blows right across the Pacific ocean right into our hemisphere.
Two percent atmospheric butterfly effect.

Latest posts