Disastrous Houston blackouts captured from space

Excuse me for the obvious. If we could "solve" the long term issue of generating abundant, reliable electricity independently of coal, oil, nuclear, natural gas, wind and solar, we would be a big step further towards environmental balance, and the capability for long term space travel/living. However, there is ALWAYS unanticipated effects, the Artic storm in the U.S. West is an example for our current electrical technologies. Personal opinion: we are destined to rely increasingly on fossil fuels to our eventual detriment.

Even before the time our Star leaves the Main Sequence, with increasing luminosity, most likely H. Sapiens will be long extinct. My "guesstament"; we have as a species, (or our replacement species has), just under 1B years, and, if not, by the time the Andromeda Galaxy gets here in about 4B years ; we'll be long gone. Now that cheery bit having been said: Yes nuclear materials can generate an abundant source(s) of electricity via radioactive decay. But how and where does a society dispose of the highly radioactive waste products. Current disposal methods are fraught with short and long term dangers/disaster. Solving that problem would indeed move nuclear to the forefront as a very viable option. Pending a technological break through, I see the electrical energy generation as a "Damned if we do and Damned if we don't". situation. It's worrisome.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
" But how and where does a society dispose of the highly radioactive waste products. "

I was assuming that the star took care of that problem, if indeed it would be a problem to a star.

Yes, I was letting the star do the work. Up to us to harness it.

Cat :)