District 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clint_dreamer

I haven't seen it mentioned on here yet so I thought I would. Peter Jackson has produced a new sci-fi movie called District 9 which looks really interesting. Without giving too much info it is about aliens coming to earth as refugees and them getting used for their technology and becoming segregated. It looks like a great story and there is a wicked marketing campaign going on right now that is very pro human and anti alien. Check out their website:

http://www.d-9.com/

C

crazyeddie

clint_dreamer":2p8571u8 said:
I haven't seen it mentioned on here yet so I thought I would. Peter Jackson has produced a new sci-fi movie called District 9 which looks really interesting. Without giving too much info it is about aliens coming to earth as refugees and them getting used for their technology and becoming segregated. It looks like a great story and there is a wicked marketing campaign going on right now that is very pro human and anti alien. Check out their website:

http://www.d-9.com/

Ugh.......not my kind of movie. Violent and disturbing, from the looks of it.

D

doublehelix

Very interesting website, clint - that is one wicked marketing campaign! I am definitely intrigued and will most likely go see this film.

-dh

C

clint_dreamer

Howard Stern gave it a great review on yesterdays show. According to him it was produced for approx. $30 million which is pretty low budget by todays standards, but he said it was an easy 5 stars. I can't believe it was that cheap after rewatching the trailer.

C

cosmictraveler

clint_dreamer":gv21711q said:
I can't believe it was that cheap after rewatching the trailer.

That's because you saw the 30 million dollar parts! The rest of the film probably sucks which is why they made it for the 30 million. I do not like the way it looks now from what I've seen.

C

clint_dreamer

cosmictraveler":2rkanxmq said:
clint_dreamer":2rkanxmq said:
I can't believe it was that cheap after rewatching the trailer.

That's because you saw the 30 million dollar parts! The rest of the film probably sucks which is why they made it for the 30 million. I do not like the way it looks now from what I've seen.

Lol. My advice is don't see it then if you're getting bent out of shape already. :lol:

S

SpaceXFanMobius57

I saw it and its amazing and intense all throughout. It carries a hard message though that makes you think afterward. The trailer didn't do the film justice.

A

a_lost_packet_

I got to see it this weekend. It's the first movie I've been to in a long while that didn't suck. In fact, it was one of the few movies I've seen recently that was worth the ten bucks.

Decent storyline, good character building efforts and a intriguing backstory that only gets alluded to, never obviously revealed and, thus, leaving a lot to an active imagination. It's like a mystery-thriller with great CGI, explosions and cool aliens.

If anyone wants to see a howitzer-blowup-alien-lazerz movie with a script the size of a bubble-gum wrapper and a plotline as interesting as a three-panel Sunday comic, don't go see District 9. But, if you want to be entertained and hit with some really interesting characters and a good story, go buy a ticket, grab your preferred snack and drink and settle in for the ride.

B

brandbll

a_lost_packet_":36akyo6z said:
I got to see it this weekend. It's the first movie I've been to in a long while that didn't suck. In fact, it was one of the few movies I've seen recently that was worth the ten bucks.

Decent storyline, good character building efforts and a intriguing backstory that only gets alluded to, never obviously revealed and, thus, leaving a lot to an active imagination. It's like a mystery-thriller with great CGI, explosions and cool aliens.

If anyone wants to see a howitzer-blowup-alien-lazerz movie with a script the size of a bubble-gum wrapper and a plotline as interesting as a three-panel Sunday comic, don't go see District 9. But, if you want to be entertained and hit with some really interesting characters and a good story, go buy a ticket, grab your preferred snack and drink and settle in for the ride.

Yeah i really liked it and the alien weapons kicked ass! The storyline was really good and the action really picks up for the second part. I had only one minor beef with the storyline, probably just nit picking though, i'll put it in a spoiler free manner below.

*SPOLIER BELOW, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE*

I didn't get it when the Christopher Johnson got smashed over the head by the main human guy(vicram?). What the hell was the point of all that? Was he going to fly up to the spaceship and fix himself? He didn't even take the main alien with him. I don't know, just seemed like a dumb thing to me but i guess they fit it in...

*end spolier

A

a_lost_packet_

brandbll":3sf1ejy0 said:
...*end spolier

I agree. (spoiler below, highlight to see it)

Perhaps it was just an ouburst, a primal act of desperation? "Stinky bug give wrong answer! SMASH BUG IN HEAD! TAKE SHIP! DO SUMTHIN TO FIX SELF!"

:)

G

greddytalon

I also agree with you about the spoiler...

(spoiler below, highlight to see it)

IMO, it was ridiculous for him to do that. One other thing that pissed me off right from the get go, was how they were treated by the humans. The humans failed to give them the respect they deserved for:

1.) The technological feat of just getting here.
2.) Being a civilization that lasted long enough to get to their level
3.) They were sick, and needed help...just like we do every now and then.

I know it's just a movie, but I could actually see it play out this way if it were real. I hope they come back in the sequel and exterminate us! :twisted:

S

Sonjiin

Me and the GF had the opportunity to see this as well. I loved it n so did she. Although she thought it was based on a true story...That may be due to me telling her it was and she is gullible as hell.

But to me It was a different kind of movie. I will say that. The CGI and even the aliens were just amazing. The plot was well developed and the action and alien tech was great. I would have pegged it for more than a 30 million dollar operation.

I dont think there was a dull moment or a part that i wanted to just end and have the film move on and get to something better. Not much filler in it which i love. Just very well put together!

I would give it an easy 4.5 out of 5 stars.

A

a_lost_packet_

greddytalon":1jkxemn1 said:
I also agree with you about the spoiler...

(spoiler below, highlight to see it)

IMO, it was ridiculous for him to do that. One other thing that pissed me off right from the get go, was how they were treated by the humans. The humans failed to give them the respect they deserved for:

1.) The technological feat of just getting here.
2.) Being a civilization that lasted long enough to get to their level
3.) They were sick, and needed help...just like we do every now and then.

I know it's just a movie, but I could actually see it play out this way if it were real. I hope they come back in the sequel and exterminate us! :twisted:

Responding to spoiler: (Highlight to see it)

I also thought the way they were treated was terrible. But, I think its just part of the plotline to help establish some sympathy for them in the eyes of the viewer.

One thing that was hinted at as part of the backstory is that the aliens may have gone through some sort of plague or disease which decimated them. Because of the condition they were found in and their behavior, which hardly seems appropriate for a starfaring species, it's possible they had somehow reverted to barbarism. I think that was an intentional plotline as well - We can view them with disdain, thinking we would never stoop to such levels. Or, we can think to ourselves "There but for the grace of God goes man" if we want to get maudlin about it. In any event, it makes them more complex characters than just the good old Bug Eyed Monsters we're used to.

I'd hope we'd never take such actions against another intelligent species. But, if we were faced with several thousand displaced aliens who were doped up on cat food, loved to root through garbage and occassionally found weapons they would run around and shoot people with, what would we REALLY do about it? After all, the native American Indians fit that description perfectly in the eyes of 19'th Century European residents of the US. They were sent off to camps, plied with alcohol and generally looked down upon...

Y

yevaud

Good points.

Responding to responses to Spoilers (highlight below):

There's something of a hidden message there. "District Six" was a well-known segregation area in South Africa during Apartheid.

T

tjdaman2

I thought the movie was incredible, and I intend to see it again with my dad tonight. The political message was powerful but the movie never devolved to 'preachiness' in order to get its point across. I thought the action sequences were thrilling and well executed and I was very shocked when [minor spoiler alert here] people shot with the alien weapons would just explode [end spoiler].

There were some areas which I initially thought were plot holes, but upon analysis of the movie, seemed to me like shining examples of why Neil Blomkamp did such an amazing job:

[spoilers do follow here]

First off, I thought the whole idea of biometric integration between the aliens and their technology was just brilliant! This civilization is obviously quite advanced, but it's a level of advancement that you would expect to see humans obtain in a mere few decades... A century at most. The idea of using their own genetic material as fuel seems somewhat like scientific hocus-pocus to me, but I can suspend my disbelief that far for a movie this good. After all, the internal logic is flawless. These aliens use their genetic material as fuel since it's something they would always have in abundance (no matter where they go in the universe, they've always got their genetics), and it prevents another species (oh, I don't know... Humans maybe?) from running off with their weapons and spaceships.

Also, the idea that exposure of humans to alien DNA triggers some sort of recombination sequence in which the human DNA is gradually transformed into alien DNA reminds me a lot of the video game Dead Space. In that game's storyline, this alien matter (the DNA from District 9) is some sort of a dormant virus, and once it receives a sample of foreign DNA (humans), it rapidly configures itself to be able to attack that strain and transform it into the DNA of an alien species (in Dead Space it was the necromorphs, but in District 9 it was the "prawns"). I thought that feature made it an incredible plot devise, forcing this unsympathetic human to literally walk in the aliens' shoes.

It also made me think about the genetic similarities between the alien "prawns" and the humans. Both are bipedal creatures with a biopic face, mouth region, and two arms (not counting the 'feelers' on the aliens chests). It seems to me like this alien race would have to come from a planet similar to Earth. After all, they stand in our gravity without any issues (in fact, their athleticism suggests to me that the gravity on their home planet is slightly larger), and they breath our oxygen without any obvious side effects. The fact that Wikus would transform into one of these creatures after only a few days suggests to me that their DNA is similar to humans as well. Obviously the outward appearances are different, but the overall body structure is the same, as is the ability for intelligent thought and communication.

Finally, I was taken in by the aliens' behavior. It is obvious that they are technologically superior to humans in almost every way. They are also far more athletic than people. One alien kicked a person in the chest and managed to cause a cloud of blood on impact through body armor. The question of why these aliens never rose against their human oppressors seems to be a matter of motivation. These aliens are clearly as smart as humans, if not more so, but their willingness to lay down before the humans suggests a severe lack of leadership. This is addressed in the beginning when certain people postulate that the leadership caste of this alien race might have died off (the exception being Christopher Johnson and his son who may be the sole survivors left). Regardless of this though, there seems to be an inability to group think between aliens. While they can communicate between one another, there is not much evidence to suggest that they can work together as humans can to accomplish a goal. In short, they are unable to function as a team, and that is why they are easy to oppress.

All in all, I found Blomkamp's depiction of the alien race to be incredibly detailed. It seems to me that if we ever made contact with another race, the comparison might be something like what I've outlined above. We have the advantage of being adaptable, motivated, and the ability to work as a team, while the alien race has superior technology and physical strength. I saw the potential for cooperation between those two races to be quite relevant. Too bad the poor guys landed in South Africa instead of someplace more diverse and open-minded. I'm really looking forward to a sequel in which the alien mothership returns to earth after three years to help Wikus and either seek retribution against the humans who oppressed them, or to help the rest of their species get off this rock we call Earth.

[end spoilers]

Whew... Didn't mean to write an essay. It just sort of turned out that way. Anyway, these are just some thoughts I had about the movie.

B

brandbll

a_lost_packet_":sq842q9q said:
brandbll":sq842q9q said:
...*end spolier

I agree. (spoiler below, highlight to see it)

Perhaps it was just an ouburst, a primal act of desperation? "Stinky bug give wrong answer! SMASH BUG IN HEAD! TAKE SHIP! DO SUMTHIN TO FIX SELF!"

:)

****SPOLIER CHAT******

I thought about that, but still was sort of a disappointing part. At the very least he would have dragged the Christopher Johnson the alien into the ship with him. Like i said though, just nitpicking. Another thing i forgot to mention, the main ship! It's just sitting there floating over the city! A kagillion ton spaceship that if it fell would destroy everything within miles and they didn't do anything about it! Didn't move, didn't try to prop it up, just had blind faith it wouldn't fall at some point and crush everyone and everything under it. You'd think that merely having that thing floating over your head would cause you to treat the aliens a little better. "Better treat these prawns a little better or this ginormous city for a million above is is going to crush us all..." Another thing, why were their no humans on the space ship researching it? Something was obviously active keeping it afloat mid-air...

I thought about the humans and the way they treated the aliens and i figured this wouldn't happen. If those aliens landed there it would be some sort of joint UN task force that would ultimately take control. They would never simply let South Africa deal with it on their own and they sure as hell wouldn't let any Nigerian gangsters in there.

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":3ao43krn said:
Good points.

Responding to responses to Spoilers (highlight below):

Then I'd definitely agree with you there. That makes perfect sense considering the plot. I wasn't aware of that. Hmm, I wonder where they'll go with this for the sequel? There's a plain opening for one. I suppose if it does well enough at the box office, we'll see a sequel. According to this, it's likely: Relocating To District 10: Targeting The District 9 Sequel

C

clint_dreamer

I loved it. Great film. Nice to see a truly original idea come to life on film and have it not disappoint.

G

greddytalon

In reply to all the spoiler chat, good points from everyone. I can't wait for a sequel either!

In reply to tjdaman2's spoiler chat:

[spoilers below]

I agree with everything you say except for one thing. They must have very strong leadership and group effort abilities...they just don't have anyone with them there to organize it or take charge. Or, maybe they were semi-incapacitated by whatever they were infected with, that wouldn't let them use that part of their brains (that would enable them to work together). This most likely seems key to me, otherwise...how would they have organized to build such a giant ship if they can't work together? Know what I mean?

[end spoiler]

A

a_lost_packet_

tjdaman2":2jsgkdqe said:
I thought the movie was incredible, and I intend to see it again with my dad tonight. The political message was powerful but the movie never devolved to 'preachiness' in order to get its point across. I thought the action sequences were thrilling and well executed and I was very shocked when....

There were some areas which I initially thought were plot holes, but upon analysis of the movie, seemed to me like shining examples of why Neil Blomkamp did such an amazing job:]

Whew... Didn't mean to write an essay. It just sort of turned out that way. Anyway, these are just some thoughts I had about the movie.

Excellent thoughts! There are a lot of questions left hanging BUT not enough of them to frustrate the audience. I think that shows excellent craftmanship and leaves the audience begging for more. A great way to set up a sequel. Well done.

S

SchrodingersCat

Spoiler Chat...

You've been warned...

According to the director, the aliens are more akin to earth-based insects. Their society is based on a hive concept. Their ruling caste and their queen were not alive when the aliens reached Earth, and the remaining 1 million prawns were the worker-caste. The director further elaborates that in the resultant 20 years, the hive has been slowly rearranging itself, and Christopher Johnson attains the role of leadership.

All in all, this film is another in the line of excellent speculative and science fiction films being made independently with (relatively) small budgets. With this, Primer, Moon, Children of Men, and some others, it's very encouraging.

J

JonClarke

Saw it this afternoon. Spoilers....

Very thought provoking, and quite good I thought, although a bit too gritty for my taste. Interesting characters, good actors, clever ideas. Some very dark humour too.

Criticisms? The evil multinational is a bit of a cliche, and I doubt that even a even multinational(TM) that carried out experiments on aliens would be quite so ready to vivisect one of their own, just because he had been exposed to an unknown alien compound. And where was the SA government, the UN, the major powers in all this?

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts