Do radio waves get gravitationally lensed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BoJangles

<p style="margin-top:0cm;margin-left:0cm;margin-right:0cm" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri" size="3">Do radio waves follow curvature as caused by the mass of an object curving space time? I.e. do radio waves get gravitationally lensed?</font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

P

Philotas

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Do radio waves follow curvature as caused by the mass of an object curving space time? I.e. do radio waves get gravitationally lensed? <br />Posted by Manwh0re</DIV><br /><br />Radio waves = light at a certain frequencies; so yes. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

BoJangles

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Radio waves = light at a certain frequencies; so yes. <br />Posted by Philotas</DIV><br /><br /><p style="margin:0cm0cm10pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri" size="3">What about other things like neutrinos / wimps?</font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What about other things like neutrinos / wimps? <br /> Posted by Manwh0re</DIV></p><p>Yes and, if they exist, yes.&nbsp; The curvature of spacetime doesn't discriminate.&nbsp;</p><p>[edit:&nbsp; I sort of misinterpreted the question.&nbsp; I should note that these object are affected by the curvature of spacetime.&nbsp; However, gravitational lensing is an optical phenomena.&nbsp; Only objects that emit radiation can be 'lensed'.]&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

B

baulten

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What about other things like neutrinos / wimps? <br /> Posted by Manwh0re</DIV></p><p>Gravitational lensing is an optical effect.&nbsp; So no, they wouldn't be lensed.&nbsp; I guess they could "blueshift" or "redshift" if they propegate as waves. </p>

U

UncertainH

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Gravitational lensing is an optical effect.&nbsp; So no, they wouldn't be lensed.&nbsp; I guess they could "blueshift" or "redshift" if they propegate as waves. <br />Posted by baulten</DIV></p><p>I thought that netrinos have a small amount of mass and would thus be affected by gravity ?&nbsp;</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I thought that netrinos have a small amount of mass and would thus be affected by gravity ?&nbsp;&nbsp; <br /> Posted by UncertainH</DIV><br /></p><p>Neutrinos are, indeed, affected by gravity, but that is not a gravitational lensing effect.&nbsp; Lensing is when the electromagnetic radiation from an object passes by a massive object that is between itself and the observer and the image is distorted by the gravitational well.&nbsp; Essentially, light is bent around the massive object.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.