Does Work Energy theorem applied in Space?

Hi, Work energy theorem is one of the fundamental theorem in physics. Simply it is a relation between work and kinetic energy of a body. Then a question arises that what is the work energy theorem is all about and how we can understand it.

It is extremely easy to understand. We can understand it in a simple manner. For this sake of purpose; let we study the complete derivation or proof of work energy theorem.

Equation of work energy theorem

We derive the work energy theorem by following the equation of work.
Let we consider in general;

an object of mass ‘m’ is applied by a force ‘f’ which displaced it by a displacement ‘s’
Then amount of work done will be given by the equation of work.
Hence;

work= force x displacement
w=f x s

Now, consider that an object get displaced by ‘ds’. During this the amount of work will be ‘dw’

It is for very small amount of work.
Now, the total work done by force is given by;

=final K.E.- Initial K.E.
=Change in Kinetic Energy

Work energy theorem:

Statement: from the above equation the work energy principle can be stated as the work done by a force to displaced an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.
Read more:
Physics and Math Tutor

Now my question is the does the same concept get applied in space?
Please share your knowledge.

rod

Oct 22, 2019
Some fun math here. My question - does energy perform useful work (undirected by intelligence like someone building space stations) in space as time marches on since the origin of the universe, or does energy ability to work decrease because of the 2nd Law (entropy) increasing, i.e., time's arrow is running down.

Reactions: Arjun rai

rod

Oct 22, 2019
Okay, I think my concern is better expressed here. Since the origin of the Universe, is the ability of energy to perform useful work, winding up as time marches on, or winding down? My view - entropy is increasing and will win out as the Universe continues to age - since *the beginning* :)

Nov 20, 2019
Hi, Work energy theorem is one of the fundamental theorem in physics. Simply it is a relation between work and kinetic energy of a body. Then a question arises that what is the work energy theorem is all about and how we can understand it.

It is extremely easy to understand. We can understand it in a simple manner. For this sake of purpose; let we study the complete derivation or proof of work energy theorem.

Equation of work energy theorem

We derive the work energy theorem by following the equation of work.
Let we consider in general;

an object of mass ‘m’ is applied by a force ‘f’ which displaced it by a displacement ‘s’
Then amount of work done will be given by the equation of work.
Hence;

work= force x displacement
w=f x s

Now, consider that an object get displaced by ‘ds’. During this the amount of work will be ‘dw’

It is for very small amount of work.
Now, the total work done by force is given by;

=final K.E.- Initial K.E.
=Change in Kinetic Energy

Work energy theorem:

Read more:
Physics and Math Tutor

Now my question is the does the same concept get applied in space?
Please share your knowledge.
I think, (second opinion wanted) the equations you have presented, are already the correct ones for a lost spanner, drifting from the space station, but NOT, the correct ones for your tabletop experiment. You haven't accounted for the friction due to sliding across the table. It would need completely different equations to describe that. If you put some frictionless wheels on your mass then they may be correct. :)

A bit more about energy in my book on Amazon::)
Steady State of The Infinite: Time Free will Randomness Cause and effect Information and order Black holes Big bang

ASK THE COMMUNITY