Does your vision defie time and physics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacebomber

Interesting that you can see and tell if a comet will hit earth. Interesting that you can see a star explode through a telescope, 70 days before the light is visible from earth. It seems your vision can peel through time and space without any difficulty, why is this not noticed? (sorry if it is)

M

MeteorWayne

Mind if I ask?

What the heck are you talking about?

Projecting the path of a comet is easy to do with sufficient observations. It's simple Newtonian/Keplerian (not even Einstein is required) physics. And none has hit earth in at leat 65 million and probably several hundreds of millions of years.

So what are you talking about?

And how can you see a star explode 70 days before the light gets here? You can't!
So again, what the heck are you talking about?

Gimme a U

BTW, the word is defy, not defie :)
MW

D

drwayne

We had a gent on here some months ago that stated that he thought a telescope worked by moving the
observers effective position closer to the object being viewed (he actually insisted that this was how a
boom microphone worked). In some circles, this appears to be a common misconception.

R

ramparts

Hold on, I need to get something good to smoke before I read that post again. I liked that.

D

drwayne

For the newer community, MW's post indicates that the topic is likely to be moved to the
"Unexplained" section.

Thanks for the setup Chris. :)

M

Mee_n_Mac

drwayne":2pq91v3r said:
We had a gent on here some months ago that stated that he thought a telescope worked by moving the observers effective position closer to the object being viewed (he actually insisted that this was how a
boom microphone worked). In some circles, this appears to be a common misconception.

I wonder if the OP is somehow confused about the time light takes to get here (Earth) vs when it left the star. I'm not sure about how he got 70 days but perhaps the whole "we're seeing the star as it was XX years ago" has him confused. Other than that, I have no idea of what he's trying to ask.

S

SpeedFreek

spacebomber":3o46q3le said:
Interesting that you can see and tell if a comet will hit earth. Interesting that you can see a star explode through a telescope, 70 days before the light is visible from earth. It seems your vision can peel through time and space without any difficulty, why is this not noticed? (sorry if it is)

Hi spacebomber, and welcome to the SDC (space dot com) forums!

We cannot see, detect or measure any light before it reaches us. A telescope magnifies the image, making it look larger, but it doesn't bring us closer to the object we are looking at.

Enjoy your stay here! Feel free to ask any questions, however "silly" you might think them, and never apologise for not knowing something, especially if nobody else knows it either! ;)

H

hewes

It's possible that the OP is a blind person. If so, the U.S. Space Camp in Alabama offers a great program for young sightless people who are interested in space science.

C

captdude

Dont be so quick to dismiss this radical new idea. Great thinkers who try to blaze a trail across the more established avenues of science are often dismissed before their theories are validated. :roll:

D

drwayne

captdude":2oo89p0c said:

Dont be so quick to dismiss this radical new idea. Great thinkers who try to blaze a trail across the more established avenues of science are often dismissed before their theories are validated. :roll:

The list of people who fit that pattern is a LOT shorter than people think. Far more often, it is a case of
Dunning-Kruger effect.

C

csmyth3025

captdude":cgktdgbs said:

So far, I've been unable to figure out what "radical new idea" the OP is proposing. Perhaps Spacebomber can follow up with a post containing more details about what prompted his comments about "vision" and who it is that supposedly has this vision.

Chris

C

captdude

I see my subtle attempt at sarcastic humor has failed to hit the mark. (I thought the smiley face eye roll would seal the deal)

T

Technetium

Perhaps he is refering to Light speed.

Like for instance, We see a star. But by now, that star could be a black hole. But we don't see it yet because of the vast distance light has to travel before we it reaches Earth.

But he seems to say that our eyes can some how see quicker than light ? lol.

Strange topic this is.

K

Kessy

MeteorWayne":2dvb6pm1 said:
Projecting the path of a comet is easy to do with sufficient observations. It's simple Newtonian/Keplerian (not even Einstein is required) physics. And none has hit earth in at leat 65 million and probably several hundreds of millions of years.

Not to nitpick, but impacts are a lot more common then that. For example, the Tunguska impactor in 1908 may well have been a small comet.

M

MeteorWayne

All the latest research indicates it was an asteroid. (Tunguska)

H

hewes

Again, I believe that the OP is a blind person asking if our ability to see defines the way we understand the Universe. Of course, the answer to that question has to be "Yes." The most fundemental elements to our understanding of the physics of the Universe are based on our ability to see things as they behave in nature. It's a very interesting question...if indeed that was the OP's question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts