driect image of Proxima Centaur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nimesis

Is there any direct image of Proxima Centaur (the cloeset star to our sun) from hubble or any other means.

Just wundering if we have ever direct imaged another star.

just something i was thing of last night while stargazing did a little looking around this morning but have not really found anything

anyway thanks for the look

James

M

MeteorWayne

We do have direct (interferometer based) images of a few larger stars such as Betelgeuse, Arcturus, and Vega if my memory is correct.

Proxima Centauri is too small and dim for a proper image at this time, I suspect.

N

nimesis

yea i thought we might have something by now wasent sure tho.

only reason i picked Proxima Centaur is because its the closest star to us at 4.33LYS

Thanks MM for the fast responce.

S

SpaceTas

Betelgeuse is the only one I know of with a direct image of the surface: no adaptive optics, interferometry etc by Hubble.
The shapes and sizes of other stars have been images using interferometry.
You can construct surface maps showing the location of large spots using Doppler Imaging. There are variations to get magnetic field maps. A quick search, doesn't show these indirect methods being used on Proxima.

There was a proposal to use an x-ray interferometer to image stars in x-rays. MAXI i recall.

Proxima is smaller and much fainter than the Sun.

F

Fallingstar1971

There are images of the star. there just small. Or its a huge field of stars with a tiny red one in the middle...Google Proxima

Star

N

nimesis

Thanks tas and Star i did find some photo's. Was cool to see. I just figured sence it was so close maybe hubble could of got a good look at it but from the photos i can see why now. thanks for everyones help :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.