Dyson Sphere thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
Apr 5, 2020
Think of the difficulty of putting satellites in close orbit around the Sun. Then, as you say, sending the energy back.
NASA has already sent a satellite in a close orbit around the Sun. According to wikipedia,

"The Parker Solar Probe is a NASA Space Probe launched in 2018 with the mission of making observations of the outer corona of the Sun. It will approach to within 9.86 solar radii from the center of the Sun, and by 2025 will travel, at closest approach, as fast as 690,000 km/h, or 0.064% the speed of light."
I doubt the investors would ever get their money back.
I have no doubt on it. Not only the investors, but many other people on Earth will get their money back. ;)

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

The devil is in the detail
A probe observing is one thing. Long term functioning (regular servicing) working at high temperatures for long periods - melting or degradation of components. Not as easy as a few words on paper. Possible - yes. Practical - ?????

Catastrophe

According to Wiki a Dyson Sphere "completely encompasses a star". May I remind you of the question on #1 Hi!This is the thread to discuss, how the Dyson sphere can be built, what difficulties are in doing so, and so on. My emphasis.

Has anyone worked out the volume/mass of a sphere of ?AU? 0.2, 0.4? 0.02? AU distant from the star, of thickness 1 metre (for example), not to mention how, and from what, it might be constructed.

Should we not get back to addressing the questioner's original post? My one word answer is impossible.

Cat :)

Reactions: IG2007

Catastrophe

From #49:
"Because, you can make a dozen big satellites and put them in a close orbit around the sun and when they are full, you can send a laser beam to another satellite which would be orbiting Mercury, which will then send it to another satellite in Venus, which will send it to a satellite orbiting Earth and we can manually take that energy from that satellite"
Why the jumping around from planet to planet? Looking at the orbits, sometimes the inner planets are on the opposite side of the Sun. Then direct to Earth would be much nearer.

Last edited:

Catastrophe

How is Earth more near to the Sun than Mercury is?
IG. When Mercury is on the opposite side of the Sun to the Earth (Earth-Sun-Mercury) it is at its furthest i.e., Earth is furthest it can get from Mercury. Earth is not nearer the Sun than Mercury - the Earth-Sun-Mercury distance is the greatest it can be. Of course, Earth and Mercury are individually within their normal distance from the Sun parameters.
You could imagine the real situation where Mercury is between Earth and Sun at the same time as Venus is on the opposite side of the Sun i.e., Earth Mercury-Sun-Venus. In that case it would not be quickest to go from Mercury to Venus to Earth, but directly Mercury to Earth.

As I posted:
"Looking at the orbits, sometimes the inner planets are on the opposite side of the Sun. Then direct to Earth would be much nearer."
In this case direct Mercury to Earth.

Reactions: IG2007

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
Apr 5, 2020
Well, Cat, now I understand what you mean to say. IMO, we should let the guys who do the thing (if someone even does the thing) to decide for themselves. I mean to say, for example, a direct laser beam can be sent from Sun to Earth only when there are no obstructions (that is, planets or asteroids or comets or anything else). What do you think?

Reactions: Catastrophe
Mar 22, 2021
probably it is possible to create some kind of beacons and transfer energy in short laser pulses from beacon to beacon.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts