E-Voting Issues in S. Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drwayne

Earlier this week, Pickle Monger pointed us to the very, very bizarre story of Alvin Greene winning the South Carolina Democratic primary despite being broke, unemployed, holding no campaign appearances or rallies, and having raised no money. No one knew who the guy was, basically, until after the election happened... which is certainly quite strange. Also, once the news came out and the press scrambled to figure out who the hell this guy was, it came out that he's facing felony charges for obscenity. The question in the submission was "did they use e-voting machines in South Carolina." At the time there wasn't enough details, so I didn't follow it up.

Rest of the story:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201006 ... 9761.shtml

S

scottb50

drwayne":fj71025t said:
Earlier this week, Pickle Monger pointed us to the very, very bizarre story of Alvin Greene winning the South Carolina Democratic primary despite being broke, unemployed, holding no campaign appearances or rallies, and having raised no money. No one knew who the guy was, basically, until after the election happened... which is certainly quite strange. Also, once the news came out and the press scrambled to figure out who the hell this guy was, it came out that he's facing felony charges for obscenity. The question in the submission was "did they use e-voting machines in South Carolina." At the time there wasn't enough details, so I didn't follow it up.

Rest of the story:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201006 ... 9761.shtml

Unemployed and recently out of the Army Greene showed up with $10,000 in cash to get on the ballot, it was refused and he came back a little while later with a check.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Dr.W- I ran across this article in the "news". I scanned it. I now have scanned your post.

I still don't get it. It's not that I'm stupid or anything, I just don't have the time. :shock:

Are you a South Carolinian? IIRC, I seem to think that you are. (Although, at one time I perceived you as being a Ph.d vampire of mid to late thirty-something age living in a cave in southwest Wyoming.)

D

drwayne

ZenGalacticore":kfoqw51p said:
Dr.W- I ran across this article in the "news". I scanned it. I now have scanned your post.

I still don't get it. It's not that I'm stupid or anything, I just don't have the time. :shock:

Are you a South Carolinian? IIRC, I seem to think that you are. (Although, at one time I perceived you as being a Ph.d vampire of mid to late thirty-something age living in a cave in southwest Wyoming.)

Worse than any of that, I am a Californian, New Yorkian, Alabamian and now Floridian.

The gist of the story - a person who should not have won an election - did. It is either a strong "none of the
above" vote, or a machine error. The fact that he was the first name on the "ballot" makes me suspect an
array error....

D

docm

Unknown candidates who happen to be at the top of an alphabetically arranged ballot often win, especially in very low-turnout elections like any Democrat primary in S. Carolina which the local media often gives short shrift (SC is a very conservative state & Dems are nearly an endangered species). In the general election the turnout would be higher with more media attention things will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts