EarthlingX and related issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

EarthlingX and I git into a bit of a discussion in the STS-130 thread last night. No biggie, but I thought I'd bring it up for discussiom here. For those not familiar with the poster, he likes to make long lists of related threads (which I'm sort of OK with) and also will add 20 or 30 thumbnails of events during missions to a single post. Again, while I don't really like it (too much clutter) I have been silent...sometimes the forums do things I'm not wild about. I'm OK with that. During spacewalks, docking, etc, while I think it clutters up the thread, I have seen the value in it, so said nothing.

But last night, he was posting images of the control room from the overhead camera of the people sitting at their desks. I thought it was a waste of space, and said so, fairly nicely (as a user BTW) I think. He got kind of snippy about it. Nothing requiring any mod action or anything like that.

So my bigger question, do valueless images take up space on the servers that might someday cause a problem of limiting capacity? If so, then I can lean a little harder on saying please don't waste the space.

On a related question, I notice that many posters quote previous responses that have embedded images. When the image is repeated in the quoted section, does that also take up space extra as well? If so, I'd like to begin cleaning up some duplicated images....but we'd probably need a stated policy to implement that...until than I can request cooperation.

Just Monday Morning thoughts as the coffee kicks in.

Wayne3

S

spaceadmin

image clutter may be something we should deal with at some point, on a case by case basis. this is a discussion forum, not an image gallery or service like flickr.com.

I also find the image repetition by quote annoying, but I seriously doubt it impacts storage. most likely the quoted post is simply referencing the same image file. it does add to visual clutter, and if it gets out of hand it may slow the rendering of pages by the browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts