Elon Musk & blue origin

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neutrino78x

It is also odd that blue origin has not posted any updates in like 3 years :eek:

S

Shpaget

Whooow... that Blue Origin logo is really something.
I'm not sure that even it's author can draw it again.

R

rocketmike

..almost! damn near identicle.

Blue Origin does have a post in 2009 about internships however.

Logo looks like it's from the Discworld series of books.

R

radarredux

neutrino78x":45xegc95 said:
It is also odd that blue origin has not posted any updates in like 3 years

And its web site looks circa 1995 – strange given that Jeff Bezos is its owner.

E

exoscientist

Shpaget":313c36p2 said:

What's up with the turtles.

Bob Clark

B

Boris_Badenov

exoscientist":3817vzhh said:
Shpaget":3817vzhh said:

What's up with the turtles.

Bob Clark
They're part of his philosophy, apparently. They're motto is "Gradatim Ferociter" & can be translated into English a number of ways, including; "patiently and step by step." Hence [I suspect] the turtles.

"Gradatim Ferociter" translations;
bit by bit ferociously,
step by step courageously,
step by step fiercely,
step by step boldly,
step by step arrogantly,
step by step with spirit,
by degrees fiercely,
step by step by degrees and fiercely,
step by step courageously,
to step fiercely,
slowly but fiercely,
patiently and step by step,
plod ferociously,
small measured steps taken boldly,
step by step bravely,
measured ferocity.

F

frodo1008

If this big blue outfit truly wants to actually make rockets or whatever (as they fully claim), why is everybody that they are hiring on this site an engineer?

If you really are manufacturing aerospace items, you need far more machinists, inspectors, assemblers, welders, and other such hands on manufacturing individuals than you even need engineers! Or to be politically correct these days is everybody called some kind of an engineer? For instance, perhaps an NC Machinist could be called a Numerical Control Machine Engineer?

Perhaps that is on a separate list somewhere?

T

tanstaafl76

Onward then, like a herd of thundering turtles with extremely limited HTML skills! Huzzah!

S

Sumontro

They might outsource a lot of the heavy construction, and only do the basic assembly in their plant. That way you could reduce your labor requirements.

M

moonfie

That's strange I remember visiting their web site in 2004 or thenabouts, and their design was much nicer back then. Of course, if they only hire the Best Engineers Ever for their Big Fancy Rockets (TM), they probably don't have much time or money left over for things like marketing or a web site :lol:.

Is Blue Origin even still in business? I was fairly interested in them back in the day but I haven't heard anything about them in ages.

D

docm

Blue Origin is very much still in business. What we've known as the New Shepard isn't the launch vehicle but the spacecraft that will sit atop something that only recently came out of the black - a flyback booster. There is even talk that much of the secrecy is because the military is very interested in a suborbital vehicle that can do deep recon from high altitudes, especially of near areas without spy satellite coverage on short notice.

Base flight profile
NewShepard-2009a.jpg

Assembly bay from home page (note booster shell and nose cone at the rear)
NewShepard-2009b.jpg

Zoomed in - looks like the nose cone segment is the top portion of New Shepard. Looks mostly composite.
NewShepard-2009c.jpg

Booster + New Shepard concept art
NewShepard-2009f.jpg

New Shepard as flown
pic3.jpg

A

aphh

Whoa! That is a giant craft. You could have a party in it. Hmm.. on another thought, perhaps the booster and avionics eat up quite a bit of the volume and only some 10% is left for the party (1% in the case the craft was meant to be orbital)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts