Elon Musk rocket to be unveiled July 20th

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

no_way

Li-Ion batteries dont lose any significant charge over time ( its true for other battery chemistries )

K

kdavis007

I like the concept of the electric car, however, being from the midwest, the winters here kinda get cold. I'm wating for hydrogen powered cars....

M

mikejz

Personally, I'm starting to think hydrogen is going to be a non-starter.<br /><br />I'm leaning much more towards plug-in hybrids and cellusotic ethanol right now.

D

docm

IMO pure electric is fine for 90% of our driving. The avg. American only drives ~36mi/day anyhow, so save the hybrids etc. for a 2nd long distance vehicle. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

josh_simonson

Exactly, and plug in hybrids require compact, stable fuels that can be stored for weeks or months between trips that exceed the battery capacity. Hydrogen is very poor for that application. <br /><br />It may actually be cheaper to simply change out the batteries at service stations for such trips. That would eliminate much of the battery-life issues for such cars since the batteries could be tested, refurbished or recycled after such a swap, much like propane tanks are.<br /><br />Ultracapacitors could be recharged faster than gasoline can be pumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts