Elon Musk tells SpaceX, Tesla workers they must be in office at least 40 hours a week: report

May 14, 2020
Visit site
Engineering related industries are getting hit hard with quality-related issues related to remote work. Zoom and Teams don't match the more collegial office meeting rooms, in terms of reviewing and collaboration in an engineering environment. That being said, sounds like SpaceX and Tesla are classic tech companies which require MUCH more than 40 hour work weeks.

Reactions: sam85geo
A Zoom meeting versus a person to person meeting is like listening to a tape of a concert and going to a concert.

Person A: "I went to a Stones concert once. It was awesome!"
Person B: "That's nothing, I listened to a recording of it twice."

I think it can work for better or worse either way. I have spent a lot of time in useless in-office meetings, where we really only got the info we needed to go work on in detail, elsewhere.

Meetings with good usage of "remote" tools can actually allow for more detailed work during the meetings, because the data is more available for manipulation than the typical "slide show" of regular in-person meeting.

On the other hand, simply putting the regular in-office meetings into "remote" format is only going to make them less useful.

What I really want to see is the "remote" tools brought into the office meetings and used effectively to put stuff on a screen and allow manipulations of it during the discussions, based on what is being asked and discussed.

Reactions: sam85geo
When I worked in an office environment, (before retirement), I actually accomplished more objectives by working overtime and on weekends WHEN NO ONE WAS THERE TO INTERRUPT. The few remote ZOOM meetings I had were somewhat of a "shock" in that I was "taken aback" by how my female co-workers looked in mufti dress, without makeup and a recent hair comb.

Reactions: Catastrophe