Enceladus Focus Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulanderson

There is a new discussion group focusing specifically on Saturn's moon Enceladus. There will be an EncFG meeting at Caltech in Pasadena, California on October 8, 2006, plus an official special session on Enceladus titled "Enceladus: Water, Warmth, Organics... and Life?" at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) fall meeting in San Francisco (December 11-15, 2006).<br /><br />The original introductory message is below:<br /><br /><i>Following on the recent Cassini discoveries of geysers, organics, and excess heat emanating from the south polar terrain of Enceladus, and the exciting implications of these findings for possible subterranean chambers of liquid water, we are forming an Enceladus Focus group to begin a community-wide conversation about this fascinating moon.<br /><br />The goal is to provide a forum devoted to the dissemination and in-depth discussion of recent Enceladus observations, and their bearing on the interior/thermal structure and history, geologic history, chemistry, geyser mechanisms, and other physical properties and processes, all with an eye towards examining Enceladus as a body of astrobiological interest and a target for future planetary exploration.<br /><br />This group will also consider the questions:<br /><br />What future observations should be made with Cassini in its extended mission that would be useful for astrobiological investigations?<br /><br />What should be the goals and mission scenarios of future robotic exploration of Enceladus?<br /><br />If you are interested in being a part of this discussion, please send an email to<br /><br />majordomo@ciclops.org<br /><br />with the following in the body of the email:<br /><br />subscribe EnceladusFocus<br /><br />This will put you on an email list, which is the first step. If there is sufficient interest, the plan would be to hold our inaugural meeting at t</i>

In reply to: "There will be an EncFG meeting at Caltech in Pasadena, California on October 8, 2006, plus an official special session on Enceladus titled "Enceladus: Water, Warmth, Organics... and Life?" at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) fall meeting in San Francisco (December 11-15, 2006)".<br /><br />Please, please, what ever you do, keep us all informed. <br /><br />I will read your post above more thoroughly & read your links when I have some time, & I would like to contribute personally some ideas I have concerning the exploration of the fascinating moon Enceladus. <br /><br />We must make this happen. I would urge every body who has an interest in this, to write to your member of Congress to try & secure some funding for this.<br /><br />I am a British national & I will drum up some support on this side of the Atlantic.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

P

paulanderson

I'll blog whatever developments there are, but I would encourage people to just add themselves to the e-mail list for updates, as noted above. I am now very interested in any further exploration of this fascinating moon!

P

paulanderson

The Enceladus Focus Group's discussion forum is now up and running! I encourage anyone to join who is interested in this fascinating moon of Saturn.<br /><br />https://encfg.ciclops.org

P

paulanderson

I asked Carolyn Porco for clarification about the forum, since I hadn't seen it mentioned yet on the CICLOPS or Cassini web sites. I got a very nice (and speedy) response; she said it will probably not be for the public in general, but for those who register(ed) with the Enceladus Focus Group itself (see beginning of this thread). It may be readable by the public though.<br /><br />They are, however, also planning a more general public forum for the CICLOPS web site, which is a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts