Energia and a manned lunar landing mission

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tohaki

Did the Soviets ever outline, however preliminary, a lunar landing mission using the Energia?

W

webtaz99

I'm sure this is an internet "urban legend", but I've read that the "high command" actually wanted to put 2 "volunteers" in a capsule and send them to the Moon - with no return. Cooler heads prevailed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

It was supposedly proposed by the US during the early days of Apollo.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

T

tohaki

Does there exist any illustration on how it would be assembled on the launch vehicle?

J

JonClarke

It was a paper study as far as I know, no hardware other than Energia and components used on existing spcecraft. I have seen no artwork of mission profiles, launch configurations, etc.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

T

themanwithoutapast

The Russian lunar lander was tested in orbit. The plan would have been similar to Apollo, the N1 with a derivative of Soyuz and the Russian lunar lander would enter Moon orbit, the lander undock and land and return to the spacecraft that would propell it back to Earth.<br /><br />Here is a link to the test of the LK (lunar lander): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos_379 - there have been two follow-on test missions of the LK.

T

tohaki

This thread is about using the Energia for a lunar landing mission in the late eighties/early nineties (presumably).

T

themanwithoutapast

<br />This thread is about using the Energia for a lunar landing mission in the late eighties/early nineties (presumably).<br />------------<br />ups, right, I was somehow thinking about NPO Energia, not the rocket... sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.