energy compression to propulsion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chembuff1982

Would it be possible to compress energy and then allow controlled releases with nuclear energy or whatever means to create spaceship propulsion? Sort of on the means of pressure propulsion or explosions in automobiles. Why can't energy be compressed and then released out of a small controlled outlet or mechanism or used to turn a mechanism causing fast propulsion? I would assume is energy was compressed into an area where it became very crammed, it would become unstable and create a force trying to escape the unit, if we could contain this force and use it, if it's not done already, we could possibly propel things. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> You may be a genius, but google knows more than you! </div>

D

derekmcd

We do this now. Jet engines and rockets do this precisely. Compressing energy to drive or propel something has been around since probably before the Greeks. Its the effiency of this type of propulsion that we still need to work on,. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

derekmcd

Just wanted to add that it is not only the effiency of current systems, but learning how to harness energy from other sources. Might that be what you are driving at? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

derekmcd

I understand your point, but the act of taking an increasing amount of stored energy and releasing it over shorter intervals is referred to as energy compression. That, is likely, what is being referenced here and is fair terminology.<br /><br />And, I dare say, a photon caught in a blackhole's singularity might argue wether it has been compressed or not.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.