Environmental groups sue FAA over SpaceX Starship rocket

First, why didn't they sue before SpaceX completed their facilities? Isn't there something like a $billion invested in that site already?
I don't understand why they waited so long. Maybe they can tell us?
Secondly, I am personally tired of hearing about people's creation stories and how everything sacred. Sorry, but according to natives, literally everything is scared.
Again, personally, yes, I do consider the advancement of humanity more important than where your ancient ancestors danced around claiming they were speaking with spirits or something.
My ancient ancestors danced around early England, but I could care less about it because it's ancient history and has no bearing on anything now.
What people did in the remote past should not be affecting any progress we are making today.
If these parks and ancestral lands were so important, why did they wait for a $billion to be spent before they spoke up? Personally, I think it has more to do with colour than it does the environment, and I think that colour is green and has pictures of some American ancestors on it.

Reactions: rod
May 2, 2023
Visit site
"First, why didn't they sue before SpaceX completed their facilities?"

First they were promised that the environment will be taken into consideration beforehand and that harm to the environment would be minimalized.

Second it cannot be expected by environmentalists to know what ecactly would have happened they dont have in depth knowledge of how the risks would be actively mitigated.

Finally it is beyond absurd to try and pass the blame to the very people trying to conserve the environment !

Ian

Jan 4, 2023
Visit site
I am also sick of hearing about neolithic mumbo jumbo. Ultimately this planet and its bisophere have a finite lifespan and our prospects in the very long term depend on being able to make some progress in spreading beyond it. Compared to the imperative to progress our spacefaring capabilities, environmental concerns hold little weight for me.

I do agree that it is important to preserve some natural environment - not just for the "sake" of other species, but for our own sake - we depend on a natural ecosystem that we cannot artificially duplicate. In fact, I think we have already destroyed too much of it for our own specie's good.

That said, I also see a lot more of "not in my backyard" than real environmental concerns being raised against many projects. If we really want to conserve an area, we need to keep the public out of it, too. Mostly, the public resistance seems to be against the loss of what local people see as a quiet natural recreational space that they want to use. They enlist the "groups" that champion the "causes" that will help them fight the projects. But, they don't necessarily live by the academic desires of those groups.

Finally, I want to say that I think SpaceX would have been better-off waiting for a more robust launch pad, not just publicity-wise, but technologically, as well. In particular, if the pad debris was responsible for the vehicle equipment failures, it blocked SpaceX from getting data on a lot more phases of the test flight - particularly the stage separation, Starship heat shield re-entry behavior, Super Heavy post-separation maneuvers, and Starship re-entry manuevers.

So, I am wondering if SpaceX is feeling pressure to make Starship available for the Artemis luner lander mission, and taking unwise risks to gain some basic data as early as possible. And I am concerned that political/bureaucratic interference is having a negative effect on the logical progression of the technological efforts.

The media seems to be hyping the negative effects in a somewhat disengenous manner. Was there any indication that the "potentiallly hazardous particulates" that blew to the town was anything more than dust kicked up by the rocket exhaust? Why was it reported that the fire started was in a nature preserve, without indicating that was part of the safety zone? Why was it not mentioned in most articles that a search for carcasses of killed animals found none? Why was the car left near the pad (with remotely controlled camera equipment) usually depicted as "damage to a photographer's car" without mention that it was set up in an area where damage was not unexpected (although not expected to include impact by a chunk of concrete from the launch pad)?

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
I am also sick of hearing about neolithic mumbo jumbo. Ultimately this planet and its bisophere have a finite lifespan and our prospects in the very long term depend on being able to make some progress in spreading beyond it. Compared to the imperative to progress our spacefaring capabilities, environmental concerns hold little weight for me.
This planet and its biosphere's lifespan are being shortened with every rocket launch. And SpaceX is destroying much more than most. And you just can't wait for us to be able to destroy another planet. What a fool.

Reactions: Glen
So much for getting to the Moon or Mars! With environmental groups suing companies left and right they'll never get off the ground again!

Mind you, the same goes for North America opening mines to fuel the green agenda; not going to happen!

May 2, 2023
Visit site

Tell me you have signed up for Musk's one way Mars mission then I will have a better understanding of were your heads at....About 7 months to Mars ...The reality of space travel is not Star Trek

May 2, 2023
Visit site
And the reality of space travel will never by that of Star Trek with the ridiculous hold environmentalists have on any type of development.

Rubbish ..your view is we should be allowed to crap all over what we have for a fantasy face it we are not going to the stars any time soon ..you will die on this planet

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts