ETX-125 vs. Nexstar 8i

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tondra

I have an 8" Newtonian on a heavy mount, which is hard to move around. At my advanced age, telescope weight has become an issue. So now I want to get, in addition to the Newt, a "grab and go," to quickly and easily take anywhere (like to a part of my yard where what I want to see at the time is not blocked by trees).<br />I have been thinking of a Meade ETX-125, but a friend whose opinion I respect suggests the current Celestron Nexstar 8i. Both are acceptably light enough in weight. I would also like to try my hand at digital photography possibly w/ the Meade LPI or DSI. Any suggestions?

T

tfwthom

Nexstar 8i weight 24lbs<br /><br />ETX125 weight 15.2<br /><br />Personally:<br /><br />I don't like either scope, The engineer in me dislikes the single arm of the Nexstar, (you have to be adding thurst to the bearing/gear with the single arm design) the ETX125 sounds like a coffee grinder, focus knob is a pain to get to sometimes, not really suited for astrophotography. (used them a couple times at star parties)<br /><br />8" LX90 weight 33lbs<br /><br />8" CPC800 weight 42lbs<br /><br />Pick either one (Chevy Ford choice) I beleive the optics are better on the Celestron but the tracking/gearing is better on the Meade. (I know people who buy both and use the Meade base with the Celestron tube for astrophotography) Both are double arm design.<br /><br />My grab and go scope is a TV85, (Gibralter mount) the Tak FS128 is great but setting up the G11 is a pain, (if I can set up the G11 and leave it set up great), my 8" LX90 is my tried and true (had it since 2001) quick set up (for me) lighter then the G11 head.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

I stay away from Meade, I find them too difficult to use. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts