EVA Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bpfeifer

When ISS crews perform EVAs in Russian suits I understand that they take US headlights and "other tools." Are there any Russian tools that crews routinely take on US EVAs? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Brian J. Pfeifer http://sabletower.wordpress.com<br /> The Dogsoldier Codex http://www.lulu.com/sabletower<br /> </div>

E

erioladastra

<br />"When ISS crews perform EVAs in Russian suits I understand that they take US headlights and "other tools." Are there any Russian tools that crews routinely take on US EVAs? "<br /><br />The only one I can think of are wire ties - these are basically coat hangers that the crew use to tie things down. Other than that, nope.<br /><br />

T

Testing

A good many of the EVA tools are made by Oceaneering.com <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Oceaneering.com<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Oceans? Is this a firm that expanded to space products by diversifying with products meant for work underwater? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

T

Testing

I ran across them on the History Channel about five years ago. The program was about a cargo ship that had gone down with all hands somewhere near Japan. Oceanearing has the largest fleet of underwater remote operated vehicles (over 300) mostly used for offshore oil and gas maintenance, inspection and repair. Once the wreck had been located History contracted one of Oceaneering's support ships to explore the wreck by ROV to detirmine cause of sinking. I had been thinking of moving closer to my folks and a career change at the time so looked them up on the web and still track them weekly. Turns out they supply the support services for NASA's Neutral Bouyancy Lab underwater EVA training due to thier diving and extensive underwater experience. Somewhere along the line they got into EVA tools like powered torque wrenches and such. They also do thermal control such as MLI blankets. They also do major mod's to USN submarines, quite diversified. Between my A/C maintenance, propulsion, space mechanism testing and water experience I could probably talk my way in the door but find it hard to give up the bennies of being with one company for 14 years. But you never know. Also the tradeoff of earthquakes vs hurricains. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>earthquakes vs hurricains<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I'll ignore the spelling error. Japan has Earthquakes <b>and</b> typhoons. Typhoons make Katrina look like a baby. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

B

bpfeifer

"Japan has Earthquakes and typhoons. Typhoons make Katrina look like a baby."<br /><br />I just came back from two years in Japan. The typhoons I experienced were fairly unimpresive, especially compared to Katrina. Most of the earthquakes were mild too. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Brian J. Pfeifer http://sabletower.wordpress.com<br /> The Dogsoldier Codex http://www.lulu.com/sabletower<br /> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Hurricanes and Typhoons are the same thing, they just have different names.<br /><br />Some are very strong, others are not. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.